mental blank :) have a read

LithoMan

Hi I am having a mental blank and i tried looking on google no joy i use to remember seeing a protomelas (blue colour with yellow belly or throat) looked like a red empress but blue and yellow not Protomelas spilonotus Tanzania Dont see them around anymore probably because they are just a silver fish and not many people like breeding them. Always use to see them at aubrn aquarium. If anyone can remember the name will be great Cheers

I agree, probably the Protomelas virgatus.

I still keep and breed the Protomelas spilonotus "Tanzania", not in great numbers due to limited popularity mainly because they take so long to colour up. But I like them and I don't want to see them disappear from the hobby, so I maintain a small colony.

Cheers, Doug

Yep Virgatus,,, yellow on underside all the way through length of fish.

Yellow comes up to just under the eyes.

A darkish line through the eye on males when breeding.

Got three male two female.

Mine are just beginning to color and bred once, but swallowed 4 days in.

Most of my rare stuff goes to east oz side as priority.

So within time.

no not placidochromis funny enough i have bred them as well for a short time i got them years back from appin :) not many people had them back then very nice fish

i remember seeing the word GOME on his tanks so must be Virgatus

Once i have tank space i think i will make that my next mission :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://burnel.perso.sfr.fr/Photos/Protomelas_steveni.html

Steveni Imperial Gome is the closest to your discription top web page shows one that looks like a red but with a yello belly

Good luck with the search

And I think its great that there are people like u and above who search and breed less common cichlids to keep there numbers up keep up the good work

Archived