Bogwood

</DIV><H1>Where do you get BOGWOOD?</H1><DIV id=Qtextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Shark Biscuit</STRONG><BR><BR>I have some bristlenose catfish and almost every article I read speaks of the need of bogwood. Could anyone tell me where I can buy some?

<br>

I live in Wollongong but travel to Sydney every few weeks, so either location would be fine to buy from.

<br>

<br>

If it is not essential to have bogwood, could someone please tell me a suitable substitute?

<br>

<br>

Thanks

<br>

<br>

Rob

<br>

</P></DIV><H2>Replies »</H2><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Link 2 Hell</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi Rob

<br>

Most LFS sell some form of wood

<br>

the better one locally I feel is mangrove

<br>

remember to wash and soak it, some pieces may need to be boiled if you don't like the idea of tannins leaching and turning the water a bit yellow

<br>

L2H

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: PHL0703</STRONG><BR><BR>It's really a case of keep looking until you find what you like; I'm usually on the lookout for nice pieces that I can do something with. No one store has the "right" piece all the time, and what's right for you may not be right for me.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: nazm</STRONG><BR><BR>Bear in mind, a lot of the LFS refer to it as driftwood. Expensive stuff if bought through them, but essential for b/n.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: PHL0703</STRONG><BR><BR>I don't think it really matters, except driftwood probably would not leach as much tannins, and are usually lighter in colour. I've found that most bogwood (mangrove I suspect) will need a good scrubbing as those I've got invariably has a coating of mud (of varying thickness).

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: searlesy</STRONG><BR><BR>You would be surprised how much driftwood leaches tannins. I collect some off the beach occaisionally, and it is very light in colour when dry on the sand, almost white sometimes, but within a day of sticking it in a tub of water, the water is a nice tea colour. I had some n a tank with a silver perch for over a year, fresh off the sand, and with monthly water changes of about 50%, the wood was still leaching tannins.

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Cichlids au</STRONG><BR><BR>You know the well-rotted stuff on driftwood that Bristlenose love so much? Well bogwood is about 80% that stuff. I have not been able to find anywhere in Sydney that sells it.

<br>

<br>

I source my own from a swamp I know. (When I can be bothered)

<br>

Cichlids_au

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: akdod</STRONG><BR><BR>i get my wood from the beach and soak it for about 2 weeks before putting it in with my bristlenose. However i also have one large stump in my tank at present that i bought from my lfs for a resonable price.

Archived