Lymphocystis in Fenestratus

cat

Hi.

I am an absolute beginner. I inherited a fish from a family member that passed away about a year ago. Thanks to Topigogo I learnt he is a Fenestratus.

He has developed lymph. He was moved from a 3ft to 5ft tank and during changeover caught himself in the net and received a small wound behind one of his dorsal fins.

He is 2 years old. He and 4 mystery snails live in his 370ltre tank. Water parameters all normal. He has 3 x 103f Aqua One Filters. Temp 26. 90cm aerator.

I do twice weekly water changes and clean one filter every week (three week rotation.

About a month after changed to new tank he stopped eating properly. started hiding and developed what looked like ick. Treated for whites with Pemafix. Have since learned that pet shop sold me wrong product so changed to malachite green, increased water temp and introduced salt.

Didn't improve and then spots became lumps. He developed 50 small pimple type lumps and three cauliflower lumps within 2 weeks.

He has had a course of Flagyl in food for 7 days. He appears to have not developed any new lumps but a couple have increased in size. I think he is starting to stabilize and has better colour and eating again.

Then today he produced a long white string from his butt. It came out then went back in???!?? Given pranquinal today.

I'm at a loss. Is this lymph. Is it something else???? Is it lymph and something else???!

Don't want to kill him with meds.

Please help. attaching photos

Cat, what are your parameters like... i have found when the water is too acidic (which i doubt yours is) these bigger central americans tend to develop hole in the head & ulcers... maybe lay off cleaning the powerheads every week, and maybe do one once a month (with tank water of course)

the whity stringy thing is a tapeworm, and yes praziquantel will help. Ideally if the fish is still eating, then soak some pellet food on it.

looking at the pics, the fish doesnt look good and nuking him with too much meds can do more harm than good.

if i were you, i would continue doing your twice a week water changes (no more than 20-30% at a time) leave the internal powerheads alone, and soak food with the praziquental... then next week, soak some food with metro, and see how you go

If this is truelly lymphocystis then it is a viral disease....nothing will cure this ...your wasting your time using antiobiics....I would worm the fish using levamisol at 2mg/litre for 24 hrs and then repeat in 2 - 3 weeks....or praziquantal at 2 -10 mg/litre soak for 24 hrs once a week for 6 weeks.

My advice...take it to a vet and have it diagnosed

Archived