Wound

</DIV><H1> HELP: Sick Calvus </H1><DIV id=Qtextbox><P><STRONG>Author: dodol</STRONG><BR><BR>

<br>

<br>

The symptoms are as follow:

<br>

- bloated stomach for few days

<br>

- a lump developed on one side of the body (near the pelvic fins)

<br>

- the lump burst out after a few days

<br>

- the wound is rotten and getting bigger (ulcer like wound)

<br>

<br>

I've lost 2 young fish with the same disease on different occasions. But once, a fry survived.

<br>

<br>

The calvus is around 5cm and was very healty. It's still eating well.

<br>

<br>

I have treated it with Melafix for few days now but doesn't show any improvement.

<br>

<br>

TIA

<br>

<br>

DD

</P></DIV><H2>Replies »</H2><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Arj</STRONG><BR><BR>Geez sorry to hear that DD,

<br>

I have experienced similar thing with ps saulosi and elec yellows. does the would appear on the left hand side of the body (if you are looking at the fish straight ahead, is the would on your left hand side?)

<br>

Anyway, so far I have not come across a cure for this. But Octozin certainly helps! Don't feed the fish in the tank for a while and also remove the affected fish. I think it could be an internal parasite and flares up if too much live/animal protein food is given to the fish.

<br>

<br>

Good luck mate.

<br>

<br>

Arj.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: dodol</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi Arj,

<br>

<br>

The wound is on the right hand side of the body (if you're the fish). Same with my 2 other fish that didn't make it.

<br>

<br>

But the one that made it, I cannot remember. I treated it with Melafix at early stage and high temp before the blister burst out and make an open wound. Slowly it dissapeared.

<br>

<br>

I feel bad for the calvus. It was in the same tank with 5 larger ones which I removed to another tank. This small one was not accepted into the colony. When finaly it's free on its own, now sick.

<br>

<br>

Anyway, I hope for the best.

<br>

<br>

Thanks

<br>

<br>

DD

<br>

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: dodol</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi all,

<br>

<br>

My calvus made it! He's recovered from this disease. I never thought it'd make it. The hole on the body was huge and looked like the guts were sticking out. It was awfull. I wish I had taken a picture.

<br>

<br>

I thought I might share this with you guys. My treatement is as follow:

<br>

- Melafix, dosed a little stronger than recommended. There's no sign of recovery with this alone

<br>

- Salts, plenty of salts

<br>

- Metronidazole, about 12-15mg per litre

<br>

<br>

I added the above every alternated days with the same dosage. Gradually, the calvus recovered. But that's after I started treating it with Metro and more salts. My conclusion is that the metro and salts that kills the parasites/virus/whatever that is. And the Melafix helps to disinfect the wound and heal.

<br>

<br>

However, I still want answer as to what disease exactly this is. It has claimed 2 more of my juvenile fish. The symptoms were not as apparent as the calvus. There were no sign of bloat and boils. There was a small hole on the same side of the body. I've read books and articles but no symptoms like this one. Can anyone help?

<br>

<br>

Thanks,

<br>

<br>

DD

<br>

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Cichlid Boy</STRONG><BR><BR>Funny I had a fish (fry) just a few days ago with a strange wound just as you describe on it's side. It was the first time I'd seen anything like it and I culled the fish, even though he was swimming and eating. Wasn't sure whether it was a bite wound gone bad, or something internal, but got rid of the fish just in case - it looked so bad I assumed the fish would not make it anyway.

<br>

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: piranha45</STRONG><BR><BR>Thats one hell of a bizarre infection/disease; glad ive never seen it on my fish

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Anita ozfish</STRONG><BR><BR>Spot on Arj.

<br>

I have had the same thing now twice, a long while ago.

<br>

Some of my yellows had it once and not knowing what it was, I pulled the first one out and threw it in with the big Americans to eat (

spreading disease??) - it actually survived and healed up well

. A lot of the other fry in the original tank died though. Have also had it with another group of fry where it wiped out the whole lot.

<br>

From people looking at the fish for me, they seemed to think it is a gram negative bacteria. It always comes out on the right hand side, gradually gets bigger and then ruptures the skin, usually being fatal.

<br>

I have no idea where it comes from or what induces it to start.

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Zarkonn</STRONG><BR><BR>Im going through that very same problem now, Im currently treating them with Octozin and some rock salts also. Seems to be helping the fish and the ulcer like sore looks very similar to yours Arj.

<br>

<br>

Seems as though lots of people have had this disease. I took some pics of my fish to my local lfs and they 'thought' it was fish TB - which freaked me out however the fish looks as though it IS healing so I'll assume its not TB since there is no cure for it? right?

<br>

<br>

Seay

<br>

<br>

Grr- used wrong ezboard account.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: dodol</STRONG><BR><BR>

all,

<br>

<br>

Arj, thanks for the pic. It look exactly like that. Some holes are bigger, some are smaller. The hole size doesn't determine whether a fish will make it or not, but.

<br>

<br>

Unique8, thanks dude.

<br>

<br>

Anita, what is gram negative bacteria? And why is it always on right hand side?

<br>

<br>

Seay, good luck mate. Hope it'll pull thru. It takes a while to heal though. So, be patient. As long as your fish still eat and lively, don't give up on it.

<br>

<br>

<br>

DD

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: mtchye</STRONG><BR><BR>This was a very interesting discussion. To answer you Q' Dodol, gram negative bacteria essentially are a class of bacteria with a cell wall structure that results in them staining a particular colour when (red if i remember correctly) when stained with a particular chemical.

<br>

<br>

And it would seem that you were spot on with using the metronidazole on this in that case, as metronidazole is active against gram negative anaerobes...

Archived