African road trip

Likoma

I have just returned from a road trip through Africa to visit some old and some new friends. Had a killer time. Diving, kayaking, fish and drinking beer. Ill put up more pics as I get time but here are a few teasers.

CichlidPublicAquarium_zps7ff67383.png

Large African cichlid aquarium

StuartGrantHouse_zpsf5827770.png

Indoor pond with Red Zebras and Cobalts

MumboIsland_zpsc791f4f6.png

Picture from our balcony.

Always get that funny feeling inside when looking at pics of places where the fish that have a impact on my life come from.

The absolute sheer diversity of these fish almost seem infinite and looking down into the depths full of boulders and churning wake zones triggers the imagination for ideas and fish types.

What's down there ???

What does it look like down there ???

Then there's those licsenced wild collectors living the dream.

MalawianVista_zps2070b3ec.png

Carlsberg

StuartGrantmemorial_zpsbd9d6d89.png

Likoma_zps69a30441.png

Fossorochromisrostratus_zpsca61ea36.png

Fossorochromis rostratus male and female in shallow water (750mm deep)

a819db5f-ef62-4ca4-8106-ca6dc4109ebf_zps

Copadichromis azureus

Protomelasstevenijet_zpse1b1fa67.png

Protomelas steveni jet

Yip. it was good to catch up with David at Red Zebra. They had just had a boat return from a Northern expedition hence the heavily stocked entry tanks.

Regarding diving I spent all my time in the water. Freediving and on tanks. I spent a lot of time ins the weed line and muck to get hours of excellent footage. Dosed myself up nicely to kill anything after.

We are putting together another trip in the future for some friends if anyone is keen.

Greg I glad you had such a great time and that you able to get a lot of video footage.

Not the photo of you holding a beer and looking out to the lake that is another matter.

Can't wait to see more.

Yip. it was good to catch up with David at Red Zebra. They had just had a boat return from a Northern expedition hence the heavily stocked entry tanks.

Regarding diving I spent all my time in the water. Freediving and on tanks. I spent a lot of time ins the weed line and muck to get hours of excellent footage. Dosed myself up nicely to kill anything after.

We are putting together another trip in the future for some friends if anyone is keen.

Thanks.

I've organised some medicine to take post diving/swimming. Hope I get some good shots like the ones you've just posted.

Great pics gives me ideas on how to set up a 4x2x1 mtr pond im setting up for summer. One thing I have wondered is how cold the water is in the lakes at 30 meters or so is it the same as on top or does it get colder the deeper you go . Where are the temps quoted taken at the surface or at the depth the fish are collected? Look forwarded to seeing & reading more cheers.

Archived