How to do pressurised CO2 on the cheap

Ash

As above. I've got two DIY generators on a 4x2x2 & it ain't cutting it. Best I've had was ~10ppm with one DIY bottle, it hasn't gone higher with a 2nd.

Who has decent CO2 levels on a 400l+ tank & how did you achieve it?

I dont have spastic money as I'm on a pension so suggesting getting a $500-800 Tunze setup isn't going to help me, but if you'll buy me one of find a cheap one 2nd hand.... tongue.gif

Can you use the regulators that people use for home brew?

I plan to inject it into a pump so I don't need a diffuser/reactor - just something to get the gas out of a BOC bottle at the right sort of rate.

Thx in advance.

Ash

Are you using the yeast and sugar version?

You could try different types of yeast.

I am using plain old yeast stachels and not getting palnt respiration but I do have a reasonable amount of surface movement. Even so I have had much more plant growth with this - and a noticeable reduction in growth when it was playing up. angry.gif

Is the DIY exiting through an air stone?

Another other option is to hack up a soda stream and pump into a "bell" arrangement or use the bell arrangement with the yeast and sugar method.

HTH thumbup.gif

Clarkey

Hi Clarkey

I'm using the yeast & sugar version - bakers yeast satchels & raw sugar (cause it's what I have) If white sugar and/or brewers yeast work better I'll switch.

At the moment I am injecting into the pump inlet. I suppose I could set up a bell to keep it in contact with the water, but I thought the pump would be disolving it more efficently?

Hi Jim - what is the West Aust forum's URL? Does punie get them regularly or was that a once off?

I'm using white sugar and yeast satchels because that's what i have on hand.

I will probably be looking into brewers yeast to see if I can get something with a higher output but also something that has a lower temp threshold cos my house is freezing in winter sad.gif

I'm using a pump inlet to diffuse as well but you will still get off-gassing with the bubbles floating to the surface - the same as if you have lots of surface movement.

I think if you use the bell then the co2 is contained and you'd get better absorption.

HTH

Clarkey

ARe u going to keep any fishes with your planted tank?

if no, then Punie is the cheapest and most effective system i have seem.

if Yes, then u need a system that turn off the CO2 after the light is turn off in the tank. because plant do not produce O2 but require O2 when the light go off.

The PH will be come unstable because the CO2 ithat s not being used will cause a dramatic drop in PH.

Hence you wil need a system that turn on during the day and turn off during the night. You need a regulator that fitted with a solenoid connected with a 24hours timer e.g Milwakee Regulator

here is a example of a systemco2

Thanks for the into emp1re.

yeah, there's fish in the tank - can't the solenoid be purchased seperately?

Does it really make that much difference? On that example you posted the guy said his fish don't care about the slight pH shift at night. My fish at the moment didn't seem to care about the inital pH drop from 7.6 to 7.0 overnight (with the yeast setup) which is a bigger swing than he reported. If there's enough oxygen & the PPM of CO2 doesn't go over 30 at night, will it really matter?

Thanks for the advice guys

yeah , u can buy the solenoid separately . The last place i know that supply it was NSW valve & fitting pty ltd for around $90 but they close down or move some where i don't know .

The PH swing is importance is really depend on the fishes u plan to keep and how well they handle to the swing . I keep discus with my planted tank, and they are pretty expensive so i don't want to risk it.

PLus by not turn off the CO2 at night , u r really wasting the co2. Over a long period the cost will pay for the cost of the solenoid.

I think I'll get a setup from punie (once I get some cash together) & just manually turn off the bottle at night until I get the solenoid at a later date. The fish in the tank aren't fragile like discus so if I forget once every so often they'll cope. blush.gif

Cheers

Ash

synspilums (plus pictus & a gibby)

I know it's a dumb idea, I'm working within "minister for war & finance" constraints. blush.gif

They don't shred the plants as much as you'd think, hardly at all infact. I've got a stack of bunch plants (well, weeds) in there as well as three decent size swords

Archived