Planted Tank

Ged

</DIV><H1>Crystal clear looking tank</H1><DIV id=Qtextbox><P><STRONG>Author: searlesy</STRONG><BR><BR>I dont know if anyone can help me, but there has been something bugging me for quite a while. At many non fish shops, ie doctors surgeries, RSL clubs etc etc, I have seen simple planted tanks set up, and they look absolutely sparkling and crystal clear. While my planted tank looks great, the water is clear, and everyone is happy, I just cant get the water to look so freakishly clear and sparkling.

<br>

<br>

I set up a tank for an organisation a while ago, with a single 4 ft Tri phosphor daylight flouro, and a few simple plants, such as val, spawning grass and hygro, and I was astounded at the look. With only a single daylight tube, the tank looks so bright and crystal clear. So I tried this on my 3ft at home, and it just looked yellow. Even with one daylight, and one 10000k tube, the tank still didnt look nice and bright. Does anybody have any ideas on how to get the cheesy crystal clear look that the tank in your local RSL club does?

</P></DIV><H2>Replies »</H2><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: crashfragment</STRONG><BR><BR>do you have any driftwood in the tank?

<br>

the tds can also make water look yellow.

<br>

*total dissolved solids-fancy way of saying do water changes more often

<br>

-shaun

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: The Cichlid Man</STRONG><BR><BR>They may be using Seachem Purigen in the filters, this product will polish the water and make it sparkle. Good for when driftwood sends the water a tangant colour.

<br>

<br>

Regards,

<br>

Ben

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: searlesy</STRONG><BR><BR>There is some wood in the tank that has plants attached to it, it is long past the stage of dissolving any tanins into the water, but it could be affecting the water nonetheless I guess, thats a good point.

<br>

<br>

They could be using some kind of purifier, but the tank that I have must set up dosent have anything like that in it, and it has the same look about it. But that tank dosent have any wood in it, which does make sense really. I think I will just have to give up the idea of a sparkling tank in this case, as the water looks very clean, just dosent have that crystal sparkle about it like the one that I sold and just set up, that looks so good I want the bloody thing back now lol.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Willy wombat</STRONG><BR><BR>Two things that may help.

<br>

<br>

Make sure your glass if clean, both on the inside and the outside. You could have the most clear water in the world, but if you have dirty glass, it will look dirty.

<br>

<br>

Second, you may like to add activated carbon, close to the outlet of your filter. This acts as a water polisher, and is most effective at the end of the filtering process, after all the other stages. I have had some very good results using activated carbon.

<br>

<br>

Just my 2 cents

<br>

<br>

Cheers

Archived