Glass tanks

E4G13M4N

<H1>Can i use this??</H1><DIV id=Qtextbox><P><STRONG>Author: noddyz</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi everyone

<br>

I am considering getting a couple of Pogona Vitticeps (I think thats it) and i was wondering if I could use a normal fish tank. I have just purchased a standard 4' and a standard 3' second hand and was wondering if one of them would be suitable with a few modifications(heat lamp etc). I know i will need a license for these little guys and if one of the tanks will be suitable for (hopefully a breeding pair) i will apply for it now and have it set up by the time that my license comes. How do I get them to pair up(get 3-4 and will the pair bond??) Thats about all I can think of at the moment but I'm sure there will be more questions

<br>

Thatnks for your time

<br>

Noddy

</P></DIV><H2>Replies »</H2><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: E4G13M4N</STRONG><BR><BR>While they are young the tanks would be ok if you set up the heating right..

<br>

<br>

With glass tanks it sometimes pays to insulate 3 sides of the tank with styro or something similar, or you may find you will heat your room up as well as the tank

<br>

<br>

As for a breeding pair larger vivs would be better ..

<br>

<br>

^Mark^

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: noddyz</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi again

<br>

i thought i would have to do something like that. What size would i need for the breeding pair and to house the young.

<br>

Thanks again

<br>

Noddy

<br>

P.S. I want to find out as much as i can about these little guys before i get any so they have the best chance so any links on this particular species would be appreciated. Thanks

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: africancichlidau</STRONG><BR><BR>When I had my centrals i started them off in glass tanks but found them somewhat unsuitable as the lizards didn't like being on view from all sides, it made them jumpy and they just refused to breed. The tanks were 5foot six long by almost 2 foot wide. I tried insulating the 3 sides more to stop their feeling of vulnerability than anything else but found that the slight mirror effect caused on the glass also unsettled them. OK I thought so i put the poly on the inside and while this was effective they tore it to shreds

<br>

Next I put them, (a breeding trio), into a melamine enclosure measuring 6 foot X 2 foot X 2 foot and they loved it! Both females became gravid in a short time and had healthy offspring. Hope this helps a little? By the way, I am currently experiencing the same with a pair of Shinglebacks in a glass tank so guess who's getting the power saw out this weekend

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: the reptilian</STRONG><BR><BR>i find that they get scared when a big hand comes down from above them. so i find that fish tanks aint the best way to go but if thats all you got then go for it

<H1>Advice needed for reptile tank </H1><DIV id=Qtextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Ben 1200</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi all i will be building a reptile tank it will be just over 4 foot and 2 foot wide i don't know how hig to build it, ok i got a few pieces of laminate wood and also ply. What should my base be made of?

<br>

What type of light should i use fluro or one of those uv basking globe?

<br>

i want glass sliding doors where should i put my heat mat?

<br>

Any help

<br>

Ben

</P></DIV><H2>Replies »</H2><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: the reptilian</STRONG><BR><BR>well ben it all depends.

<br>

i have mad some reptile enclosure 4x2x2 which IMO is enough space.

<br>

what type of reptile are u looking for? if it is an aboreal snake then you would want to make it higher than if it was a ground dweling snake.

<br>

i would just use the same materials all round except for the front where there would be glass.

<br>

i use down lights with reptie globes in them for all my reptiles.

<br>

<br>

cheers

<br>

charles

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Ben 1200</STRONG><BR><BR>i want bearded dragons so therefore the tank will be for lizards the height is going to b 44cm tall, what do you mean by down lights? sorry im a novice are they like the basking and heat globes

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: the reptilian</STRONG><BR><BR>yeah they are just basking lights.

<br>

and btw 44cm tall will be heaps tall enough for ur beared dragon or two

<br>

<br>

cheers

<br>

charles

Archived