Filtration, Lighting and any other advice for a new 6 x 2 x 2 cichlid tank

SophSixx

Back to the lighting,,, generally it's fluro and LEDs on offer these days.

If you can find a shop with power Glo tubes and supposed good type LEDs,, Ask the shop if you can fit the fluro tube over one of their tanks and the led,,, to see difference.

What ever you compare to the power glo's you'll just know straight away guaranteed.

In fact 70% power Glo combined with with 30% halide is absolute premium effects.

If its just Malawi display, and not really a planted tank,,, then you leave the lights of completely, and only turn on in afternoon when home from work,,,, the fact that fluro uses more power, even such minimal amounts, is nothing for 2-4 hours at end of day.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Buccal, I'm so inexperienced that I had the lights running on the 50gal I've had for 7-8 weeks for 8 hours!

I can get the PowerGlo's at my LFS, been in there a few times and have seen them stocked, so will look at these today also whilst I speak to them about my concerns with the sump.

And the next level of challenge for the experienced aquarist.

wow tys buccal what does that make me now knobster?

Why you say that ?? What do you mean ??

i sore your comment above and went with it.

and sophsixx there are ways they can set the sump and tank up so that if something fails the sump wont overflow/.

simy696 I have re read Buccals comment and can't understand why you

feel he has pointed his comment at you

all he states is that the sump is the next level of filter technology over canister filters

I have to agree that it is, in the evolution of filtration for prolonged water purity and

optimum conditions if it suits the users application and budget

the height of the divides from the top of the sump dictates the back flush area available

so you need to measure from water level to the low point of the water drain in the tank

to get the water volume that will back flush and design the sump dividers height so the

sump can take to take that volume

Either or with regards to the sump, both are good, a sump should never overflow if setup correctly. I do not like leaving the anti siphon method down to a one way valve, much rather a hole in the return pipe or similar, anti siphon is ok but it must none checked regularly.

I don't use one way valves, nor do I restrict flow, much better (in my opinion) to tee the extra flow back over the drip plate or back through the filter media.

There is no right or wrong really, led, flouro, sump, canister, there are slightly better methods and all have advantages and disadvantages. I like sumps, but I have had good success with canisters over the years, they are both really easy to maintain, the sump can be a little harder if, and I must stress if, if it is setup poorly. Canister baskets are so easy to clean, just duck in filter water and run!

Do not over think it, I hope this helps. :-)

Ok, so I've just come back from the LFS, took lots of pics on the way he will be setting up the sump but have no idea how to upload the pics from my phone so as soon as I have figured that out I shall post them. He again assures me that it's pretty fullproof of no flooding as long as I follow his instructions...I will upload ASAP for your input.

I just have to say THANK YOU all for the support and input to this post, I feel like I have ppl who genuinely care about this new venture.

Oi! I have a reputation, you take that back! I am a bad boi!

All good, it will be ok mate, just research sumps and flooding etc, you will be a pro in no time :-) Either way in a few months you will be wondering what the fuss was all about, good to see you doing research :-)

A couple of pics of the sump he has set up in the store (this is obviously a larger version ). He was kind enough to allow me to take a few pics, told him I was a little concerned so he told me to feel free and get some feedback.

I've also requested 12mm glass for the display tank, do you think that's overkill or is that pretty standard?

Hope the link works

http://s1175.photobucket.com/user/Sophie_Sigalas/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsfmaxfa7j.jpg.html

Glass is pretty standard for that size display to have 10mm+ glass.

One thing that isn't covered is or questioned yet is, is the display going to be drilled or is it overflow?

If drilled you pretty much don't have to worry about a flood issue.

Clean looking setup as I would expect from a shop.

Staplez, overflow... Here come those jittery feelings again

Some more pics... We have designed the overflow box to be in the centre of the tank on mine as you can see both sides of the tank.

http://s1175.photobucket.com/user/Sophie_Sigalas/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsplkqth3y.jpg.html

It's drilled with internal overflow section. No issues here. Should be a great setup.

Sump looks ok, it will evaporate pretty quick though, make sure you keep an eye on that pump section.

If it yet to be made, request glass lids on sump. The amount of evaporate shouldn't become an issue unless you never change your water, anyway if you did loss massive amounts of water due to evaporation the whole overflow will crease to continue working. Unlikely.

Sump looks ok, it will evaporate pretty quick though, make sure you keep an eye on that pump section.

If it yet to be made, request glass lids on sump. The amount of evaporate shouldn't become an issue unless you never change your water, anyway if you did loss massive amounts of water due to evaporation the whole overflow will crease to continue working. Unlikely.

Haha, is this English, no offense mi no comprehendee!

If it yet to be made, request glass lids on sump.

The amount of evaporation* shouldn't become an issue unless you never change your water and if you did lose* a* massive amount* of water due to evaporation, the whole overflow will crease to continue working. Unlikely (you should keep an eye on the pump section)*

ok will request glass lids... And here comes another rookie question. In the case of evaporation, do I top up the sump? Is it best when he installs everything to mark where all the water lines should be?

Water change and any top up's are to be done in the display tank. Never place tap water directly into the sump as it can kill off the good bacteria.

I use black lines via a sharpie to mark my desired water level - Full mark, 30% water change mark ect. Just helps heaps to have a visual guide.

That sounds easy enough. I also changed the height of the tank to a 2.3, have no idea how I'm going to get in to change things around if need be or vacuum... How often do ppl do full tank cleans? And are wc every second week on this type of set up or does that depend on what fish are being kept? Size etc

Water change and any top up's are to be done in the display tank. Never place tap water directly into the sump as it can kill off the good bacteria.

I use black lines via a sharpie to mark my desired water level - Full mark, 30% water change mark ect. Just helps heaps to have a visual guide.

I top up in the sump, but in the pump section, this section is isolated from the media so I can top up to the running water level without compromising bacteria. :-)

Archived