New build - sump advice needed

DWBN

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes but Buccal trying to achieve zero nitrates is like the chase down the quarter or chasing a hot woman, you are starting to sound like some of the guys at qldaf. Some people enjoy tinkering and trying things, sometimes they work and sometimes they do not, some people like gadgets others do not.

I am happy spending money on things for my tanks, I don't have kids or a wife and I never will, so I enjoy waiting for that new gadget to arrive, gives me something to look forward to, it's only money. I will always do water changes, I always have, they are easy if you have the right tools and I do not understand why you would not do them.

Remember we are all different in this world, it sounds like you like chasing a cheap and zero cost setup, that's great, that excites you! I would love a salt water setup purely for the gadgetry, but I am not prepared to pay the power cost. I have had some success with Nitragaurd and in my new tank I will be trying carbon dosing with a reactor, along with a purigen reactor. The cost to me is only the power of a low wattage pump, I am also trialling a new low cost setup using air lift technology.

One day I will setup a logic controlled fish room, that is my dream! I was once a Process Contol Engineer and maintained and programmed large PCS systems, ah man how good would that be, touch screen with pH, flow rates, turbity, push button water changes! Hahaha, one day!

Determination of my practices and beliefs by you are inaccurate........ ........

anyway....back OT :)

thanks again for the input. I've managed to refund the bio balls and am now deciding on what else to use.

To recap - I have bought the following:

• 10kg ceramic noodles
  • 3 litres marine pure
  • 50 litres K1

I think that should provide sufficient enough biological filtration :)

My next question, regards the sump design and ease of cleaning. I'll be using the herbie overflow method, so will have two pipes delivering water to the sump. As per the design requirement, the ends of these need to be submerged in the sump.

I plan on putting filter wool, jap matting in this first chamber for my mechanical filtration. My concern is cleaning with the overflow pipes in the way. Having to replace filter wool, rinse matting etc will be fiddly and will get old quickly. Filter socks clog quickly and again, will be a PIA to change with the overflow pipes in the way.

To solve this I was thinking of installing a union on the overflow pipes just before entry to the sump. I could just unscrew them and remove them out of the way completely.

Has anyone else talked this issue?

If there is enough interest I might start a thread for the build. Custom tank is being built, flooring requires some serious reinforcing, new gadgets are on order etc :)

Installing unions will be a good idea :-) I like Poret foam rather than jap mat, my mechanical section although it is bio as well consists of 10cm of 10ppi Poret foam, 5cm of 20ppi Poret foam and 5cm of 30ppi Poret foam, the water flows directly into the corner where I have had Nitraguard in the past then it flows into the mechanical section and down through the foam.

The first chamber of the sump is about 150cm wide and divided into two sections, 1/3 and 2/3 of the width. The drain pipe is submerged in the first smaller section and then overflows into the mechanical section, this way I do not have to worry about moving the drain pipe when I clean the mechanical section.

Very similar to this setup... except I filled the first section with foam as explained above, and made a riser plate out of egg crate, I rarely clean the foam. https://scontent.fbne1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/t31.0-8/10911380_656223724483603_4993399757222035537_o.jpg

Although filter socks can be a pain they work really well and they make you physically remove alot of waste from the system that would otherwise remain.

Since using them in my main display I've noticed a massive difference in the amount of detritus built up in my sump.

With normal wool/ matting there is still a fair amount of bypass but this is not the case with the socks. They aren't for everyone though.

You could use unions but I prefer to leave my last connection as an unglued slip. Can be risky but in ten years I've not had a drama. It works for me as it is directly above my sump anyway.

Hav eyou got a pic of your setup pjmowens? How often do you change the socks and can they just be rinsed out and put back?

I like the idea of just adding a another baffle and creating the first chamber as mechanical filtration only without any overflow pipes in the way, although I'm starting to run out of room in a 3ft tank! I'd go bigger, but a 4ft won't fit.

Filter socks would be better if cleaned regularly, you need to wash them in washing machine, worth having a few and washing all at once. Most people run the machine empty to rinse any soap, then wash the socks without soap or a dash of bleach.

I'll try and get some photos tonight.

In regards to cleaning I normally rinse with a hose twice before having to machine wash. You'll know when you need to machine wash as they wont last the day. I have a few sets on hand

They generally last two to three days. A lot of effort but worth it I think.

Would splitting the overflow with a Y connection into two filter socks increase the time between changes? Changing them every 2-3 days for the life of the tank isn't going to work. I'm away for work a bit, so need something that will increase the time between changes.

I'm thinking traditional sponge/wool will suit my setup better.

https://vimeo.com/145850046

Here's my setup. I use two 4x15" socks. I'm running 1x eheim compact 5000 and 1x ocean runner 3000? Your change out rate will depend on tank inhabitants, number of socks and also filter flow rate.

Looking at upgrading pumps soon. Just waiting for some more vectra l1 reviews.

The mat you can see in the second and third chamber has been in there two months. There's some large debris on it from me tipping a filter sock getting it out but it's like brand new.

I've got the k1 being boiled by a haliea v-30 air pump and two glass air stones. If you go air spend the cash and get some sintered glass air stones.

Edit- video didn't work dammit. I'll try again

pjmowens - Can I ask what sort of system you want the L1 for? I am running the M1 on my 4'x2.5'x1.5' (sump) that services my 8'x3'x2.5', and this pump is more than enough (not working at 100% capacity).

Big fan of the M1 to date.

I currently have a 8x2.5x2.5 but am looking at upgrading due to fish outgrowing tank. The sumo is 6x20"x20"The new tank will be same length but about 4ft wide. Undecided yet on what height as even at 2.5 ft tall cleaning can be a pita.

For the money spent I would like to get the l1 and dial it back in the mean time.

Ok so time has come to provide the tank builder with dimensions for my sump!

The sump is 3ft long and as this is my first design, I want to make sure I allow enough room for my media and return pump.

• I have 50L of K1 - what space should I allow for this?
  • What is the minimum recommended space for the return pump?

Chamber 1 - inlet/mechanical

Chamber 2 - ceramic noodles/marine pure (10kg combined)

Chamber 3 - K1 50 litres

Chamber 4 - return pump/heater(?) pump is Fluval SP4

This is the standard design the builder has sent me. I will need to add another chamber as this doesn't accommodate accommodate room for K1 and 10kg of ceramic noodles.

Help with rough dimensions would be really appreciated!

20151123_114403.jpeg

Tank dimensions are sorted. I was lucky enough to have my builder make the sump a little larger to accommodate the extra chambers required.

As I'll be running 50 litres K1, I'm after a super quiet air pump that will push the media around. What do people recommend?

Hey Buccal, would a wavemaker work as well, I made a makeshift filter with ready made tumble and a wavemaker a while back? Tumbling K1 is probably my favourite filtration method, I do not use it in my tanks due to noise though, I am old skool, use bio balls.

I do not see why it would not work, would probably use more wattage than an air pump though, I used a 7watt tunze for my setup. Buccal has more experience than me though with that style and most style of filters, I would wait for his input.

Archived