rack

simy696

got my rack up and running but a hick up.

its a 2 4foot set up with a old tank i had made into a sump underneath

but the water heading into sump seems to bubble back up and over first partition instead of under any ideas why?

this time of night easyier for me to describe will get some pics up when i can 910m l 350mmw 720m h

laserlite partitions about 20mm gap at bottom 600mm high partition from memory just got a bag of balls in first partition at present so nothing stopping it maybe the extra height the issue?

i was thinking that too but just used same pump in previous sump in my 6footer and i dont remember having that problem. but may get a smaller i guess any size recomended? not sure what this one is as writing gone but used it in garden for years so i guess a biggish one.

It's likely your sump before this one,,, running with that pump,,, was just set up differently and actually allows greater flow.

On the water pipe returning back to the tanks put a (poly manual valve) 'bunnnings', $4 or so,, and throttle flow.

You may only need to throttle slightly, but won't take long to play with and work out how much flow.

It's up to you wether you want to buy a smaller pump after testing with valve first.

Or keep valve on old pump as permanent,,,, I think that pumps that are throttled and result in slower rotation rate, results in less wattage usage anyway.

Connect the valve and see what happens anyway.

It looks as though the flow problem is from possibly the following-

- media in second compartment blocked

- insufficient flow under baffles( return pump too big

As the water looks to be overflowing all but the last partition I think pipe sizes are not causing this problem.

If you are going to put the valve in the return line you will need to plumb the dump into the pump chamber.

Ok, so of the subject, the water pipe exiting tank should be 50%-150% larger than than pipe entering,,,,, to expell water sufficiently using decent flow.

But seeming your intake output pipes are so small meaning must be a small pump,,,, then your flow can't be all that much to cause problems in a common sump of to much much flow.

You may have to revise how you've set your sump up.

Fill a bucket of tank water and take all media out and put into bucket to keep beneficial bacteria safe.

See if your sump works as you want.

If it does, you have obstructions and need to position things differently.

Ok, so of the subject, the water pipe exiting tank should be 50%-150% larger than than pipe entering,,,,, to expell water sufficiently using decent

Agree totally. I suspect the drain line is becoming a full siphon and the sump design is undersized.

HTH

Yes likely ^^^^

May be that baffles are situated incorrectly.

But pulling out all media and seeing if it works or not will show.

If it doesn't work without media, then baffles needs modifying.

If it does work, then media position to be trialed and errored (played around with).

It is good advice above but to me you have you inlet larger than your output. I always go a size larger for the output to break the siphon. I would start again if we're you and do a pass back loop into the sump to avoid back pressure on the pump

Cheers

Rosco

To break siphon, I put a T peice rather than a elbow to back of aquarium,,,,, I put right angle into back of tank and face one outlet up and one down,, extend upward one a few inches with poly.

As water falls down it can draw in air and let's the water fall much faster without any airlock.

Also I put a splayed upward bell shape PVC fitting facing upwards as a water exit inside tank,,,, so water fills to top of and spills into 50mm diameter which veers down to 25mm out pipe.

You be amazed what you can put together standing in a bunnings isle for a hour thinking hard and mix matching lol.

Simy, have you taken media out and tried yet. ?

If their was any issue with pipe diameter, then there would be over flow water level issues in tank.

If any thing small pipes throttling water flow (as bad as it generally is), will help sump to work better with less flow,,, as this scenario may advocate.

oops yep filter media blocked never occured to me that what it could be cause nothing in tank yet but some of the material came from old sump from my main tank i guess had a bit of crap in em. tys for your help though guys very informative if this situation happens again i got a list of things it could be.

• 4 weeks later...

second peice of glass is too high first peice needs to come up a little more second needs to be cut down a little.from my experience anyway i make all my sumps from old tanks so i have the same trouble once or twice with different sized pumps or as mentioned as a few people forget media gets blocked

Archived