Ecotech Vectra m1 return pump

Nav

So I'm just wondering, has anyone played with one of these pumps yet? I ordered one to replace my ocean runner 6500 (or6500) return pump that died a few months back, can't wait for it to arrive. At the moment I'm using a cheap Chinese noname pump I had for water changes.

I've never had a DC pump but do like the idea of dialling down the pump speed when I do water changes (i pump water into my sump and am constantly turning on and off my pump when my sump fills up). Also think the slower flow will be nice when doing feeds so not as much food ends up in my sump.

Anyone seen any Australian reviews? The one from ecotech was so painful to watch.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not too concerned about the external driver as the pump will be inside my wall cavity (tank is an inwall fish tank). I'm more concerned about the flow rate, noise, and vibrations as I want the tank as quiet as possible.

Being EcoTech Marine it will be good. They claim very low noise so I'm sure it will be perfectly ok for your application.

Being EcoTech usually means their pumps sound like a 747 taking off!! Claiming and what happens in reality are two very different things!

IMO, I'd wait until the 2nd gen version comes out as EcoTech 1st gen stuff generally has issues!

When you told me yesterday you got the Ecotech m1 Alex, I thought of it as any other pump,,, just googled it,,,, looks like the bussiness, didn't know they existed.

Seeming your doing the serious gear, have you thought of heating yet ????

Check out the Elecro 2kw single phase inline heater from aquasonic.

This would suit your tank size nicely and is 100% infallible for performance, reliability and accuracy.

Looks very serious to, like the Ecotech m1.

Good to see you coming back bigger and even better,,,, thumbs up.

Can't wait to see your stocking decisions, and the way it comes together.

Always interesting to see serious peoples progress that aren't short of a penny !!! :)

Hey Alex. I'm waiting for mine as well. Hoping I didn't make a mistake by buying it.

Time will tell, I'm not concerned at all.

When you told me yesterday you got the Ecotech m1 Alex, I thought of it as any other pump,,, just googled it,,,, looks like the bussiness, didn't know they existed.

Seeming your doing the serious gear, have you thought of heating yet ????

Check out the Elecro 2kw single phase inline heater from aquasonic.

This would suit your tank size nicely and is 100% infallible for performance, reliability and accuracy.

Looks very serious to, like the Ecotech m1.

Good to see you coming back bigger and even better,,,, thumbs up.

Can't wait to see your stocking decisions, and the way it comes together.

Always interesting to see serious peoples progress that aren't short of a penny !!! :)

The setting up of the 8x3 is kind of a trial run for me. This is my first serious sump, have always used above tank trickle filters in the past. The next instalment will be much bigger than this! :) I'm back! been too bloody long.

Hadn't thought much about heating - in all honesty when I've heated this tank in the past a couple 300watt heaters is all it has needed. Was just going to stick couple in the sump. Will have a look at the aquasonic range though!

Hey Alex,

How long of a wait do you have on your vectra? I ordered mine 3 weeks ago and was just told that my order was at least 3 more weeks away. I'm just hoping my cheap pump I have my tank running on now lasts until the vectra comes in.

Nav

Hey Alex,

How long of a wait do you have on your vectra? I ordered mine 3 weeks ago and was just told that my order was at least 3 more weeks away. I'm just hoping my cheap pump I have my tank running on now lasts until the vectra comes in.

Nav

I have been informed that my pump should arrive to Perth this Friday.

My current pump is one I used to use for water changes. Sometimes starts when I turn the power on, sometimes just stutters and turns off. Always afraid it won't start. Just crossing my fingers it survives.

Just got told I am also in for a 3week wait. I have other pumps to run my sump in the meant time.

Poor effort from the supplier in Australia, I actually saw the promotional pamphlet with the pumps on it for sale that were distributed to stores. They were a promotional sale item - not sure why you would distribute it to stores when you have none to sell, not only that but not tell the stores that any pumps purchased will be on backorder. Better be one hell of a pump! :rant:

• 3 weeks later...

I really can not see what your all complaining about, the importer indicated in his post MESA that the first shipment was limited. If any thing you should be upset with your LFS because they should not have said they could get it with out checking first.

I read a review where a power supply has failed, it was replaced but if anything is to fail it will be the switch mode power supply. I wonder if two p/s's can be used for redundancy, I do not like that aspect of the design, I will try and find the article.

Archived