tangerine cichlid

liam

Hi to all new here and so far seems like a great site ,

well my problem is i have to of these and are about 14cm in length could be a bit less

hard to measure when they are in the tank any way i have one that i have had to separate

as he/she keeps attacking the other one it has killed one already so i put a sheet of glass in there to keep them apart but it does not pick on the smaller ones in there i have an electric blue peacock in there as well as a small looks orange to me they are about 5 to 7cm long

my question is how do i stop this as if this keeps up i am going to get rid of them and go to the other tropical fish can some one help thank you

from liam

ps if in wrong spot sorry about that still learning

I had a quick look on google for these guys and it seems they are a type of Aulonocara (peacock) according to most articles I read. My experience with most Africans is you need to have quite a few to spread any aggression around a bit with a lot of people over stocking their tanks a bit. Others with more experience might be able to suggest other reasons and solutions.

Tangerine cichlid is a bit of a vague name - could either be Tangerine peacock, tangerine tiger or red zebra. I suggest you do a google search and let us know which one of these fish your one looks like.

Priscacara is probably right, probably a hybrid peacock and if this is the case, please let us know what size tank you have them in. Even in a 6 foot tank, the subdominant peacock may get killed. I have found large peacock males are very agressive towards each other.

If its a red zebra, they will probably be OK if you add some more red zebras to disperse the agression. Depends on the size of your tank again though.

Good luck.

Regards, Rob

Tangerine cichlid is a bit of a vague name - could either be Tangerine peacock, tangerine tiger or red zebra. I suggest you do a google search and let us know which one of these fish your one looks like.

Priscacara is probably right, probably a hybrid peacock and if this is the case, please let us know what size tank you have them in. Even in a 6 foot tank, the subdominant peacock may get killed. I have found large peacock males are very agressive towards each other.

If its a red zebra, they will probably be OK if you add some more red zebras to disperse the agression. Depends on the size of your tank again though.

Good luck.

Regards, Rob

Hi Rob

it looks like this one even has what looks like little black type of teeth

if you have a look at this link you will see it

http://media.photobucket.com/image/recent/...s/tangerine.jpg

he has now made a nest type area that takes up nearly half of my tank , my tank size is about 2'6" long thank you from liam

Cool its a big red zebra - scientific name Metriaclima Estherae.

If your tank can fit them in, I would try adding a few more red zebra to it to disperse the agression.

Regards, Rob

they would need to be a bit smaller than i one that is causing the trouble other wise would start to get a bit crowded but it should work ok just need to get more rocks to help with them hiding the other large red zebra that has been picked on badly is doing better still has a small hole in it's side but is doing better now the other one can not get at it

liam

I wouldnt be keeping a red zebra in 2ft 6 tank with any company.I had a colony of 12 in a 4x2x2 tank and after 18 months of peace and reproduction they began to kill each other and didnt stop.Exactly the same thing happened with an identical colony of cobalt zebras(M.callainos) Metriaclamas are very aggressive.Im not sure what an electric blue peacock is(?a hydrid??)but its not good company for your zebra in such a small tank

Dont get rid of them just get a bigger tank :lol1: great excuse to expand

Yeah Killiguy's right, sorry I missed the part about the tank size only being 2 1/2 foot. They need a bigger tank.

Regards, Rob

Hi all thanks i have decided to get rid of them selling all for 50 also my mistake the electric blue

peacock is just the electric blue (Sciaenochromis fryeri )

thanks again for the advise

liam

Archived