Which species for a successful Peacock, Hap, Mbuna display tank?

Smitty

Ok so i'm thinking of setting up a 6x2x2 display tank with Peacocks, Haps, Yellow Labs and a couple of Yellow Tail Acei. I've done a bit of research and feel the following species which i have in mind should live in harmony together. Just wondering if any of you can see any potential problems? Or if i should adjust the numbers of any species?

Yellow Labs x 6

Yellow Tail Acei x2

Blue Ahli x 2

Yellow Princess Hap x 2

Venustus x 2

Frontosa x 2

German Red Peacock x 2

Otter Point Peacock x 2

Red Empress Peacock x 2

Red Shoulder Peacock x 2

Bi Color Peacock x 2

Eureka Red Peacock x 2

Dragon Blood Peacock x 2

Cuckoo Catfish x 5

I understand some species may be difficult to obtain but I plan on buying all these as 4-8cm fry off breeders if possible and weeding out the problematic and not so colourful individuals as they grow, maybe even ending up with an all male tank. I'm still in the planning stage so any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

That sounds all ok except our ahli are just electric blues and I am not sure what a yellow princess hap is. All those fish are obtainable except maybe the Aulonocara maulana (I think that is commonly called the bi colour) and otter point are less common. The only problem that I can see is that you Venutus may be the only 2 fish left in the tank, themselves. They grow quickly and eat anything that will fit in their mouth. Even if it doesn't fit they will give it a crack at least. Technically Red empress are haps not peacocks. I might be tempted to grab a few more of each to try and get more males.

Cheers

Rosco

Thanks for your advice Rosco.

So would you recommend I purchase the majority of the fish a couple of months prior to getting the Vanustus?

And you think the Frontosa's will be fine with the rest? I only really want one but was thinking of starting with two.

Thanks again.

I would leave the ventustus out all together they are too aggressive for labs and peacocks. The fronnie should be fine they are pretty passive and will most likely leave the others alone unless you are a leptosma then you well be lunch.

Cheers

Rosco

i found taiwan reefs to be peaceful back when i kept malawis!

I agree. I have taiwans with my yellows and they are very peaceful. I also have copidichromis trewasse, red finned kadango's, Copidochromis Azureus and Proto spilo "Tanzania". They are not overly aggressive towards other fish either. In saying that when I kept kadango's with other fish in my 4x2x2 they had other kadango's to chase around. I am not sure what would happen if you only had one big boy in there as they do get to a decent size. In a 6x2x2 these fish would fine mixed together.

cheers

Thanks for your advice guys, much appreciated! Still in planning stage at the moment as i'm probably moving into a new house in October so will wait until then to set it up. Will let yas know how i go.

Cheers

Archived