Neolamprologus Brichardi

sicj

I am looking to get into these fish i am currently looking at setting up some smaller tanks 3ft max and i really like the brichardi species, i am not sure on what tank size other people may have had success with and also some general info on your basic tank setup like filteration and so forth.

Any information would be of great help

I am looking at keeping around 6 different varients of these guys

Regards john

I have a Brichardi on my 4ft African set up Tank.I love these species is because of thier appearance.They never hide when someone approach the Tank.Good for display but mine though give my Julies and Leleupe a hard time.Lucky I have plenty of Rocks on my set up it seems like they like staying close to the rocks.

i've just set up a 2ft tank with a colony of five. Im using an aquaone 500lph hang on filter and also an internal 700lph powerhead i got from AOA.

when i first put some plants in the fish dug it all out in 1 week. i decorated the tank with 2mm gravels and large mudstone rocks i got from work. the fish has dug all the way around and into the gravel so they form a hiding space just under the rock.

very easy to maintain. i do about 5 litres of water change every few days and i dont age the water. straight out of the tap and into the tank. it works for me but it might not work for everyone. so to be safe better to age your water.

I keep two variants, Kiku and Burundi. I have 8 sub-adult Burundi in a five footer and they have just started to pair up and i have 1 spawn at the moment that is 3 weeks old now. These are one of my fav tangs. A 3 footer should be fine for 1 or 2 pairs but no more, the group will look after the fry but will only spawn again when there is enough room. Very easy to keep. Good luck

Thanks for the info guys :)

I will be looking at 1 pair per tank and in either 2 or 3ft tanks now i have to start setting up my stand and tanks. Cant wait till i start hopefully i cant get hold of some of the rarer varients of these fish once the tanks are established :thumbup:

Stunning and interesting fish to keep (Especially their family hierachy when breeding)

Further more, there was a guy from Melbourne who keeps/kept about 4 or 5 varieties... Some very nice ones... But i can't recall his name..

Good luck with them. :)

I had 3 established (bonded) pairs of brichardi that have been happily faithful to each other for years. When I put them into a 6 foot display together, they exchanged partners. I had a pair of "daffodils" and 2 pair of albinos. Now I have a female daff with a male albino (son of pair 1), a male daff who is swinging with dad albino and daughter albino and a mum albino who has been pushed away by everyone.

IPB Image

This is the female daughter...the male daff and father albino both tend to the fry. It's very unusual to see the two adult males share caring with parental duties with the same female. The fry are dark, so the biological father is the daff, but the albino male doesn't seem to know this.

Andrea :)

So much information on the forums it is so good to know that alot of other people advice is helping me so much :)

I am looking for the orange variety of daffodils but no luck preferably in sydney. I currently have 1 adult male and 2 of his fry as the female has died. I am not sure if these are rare or not. They are a very orange fish with blue tips on the ends of there tail fins and dorsal fins.

I will be purchasing some more varietys of brichardi soon once i learn more about them and setup my tanks as to how it wouls suit these fish best

Thanks for the info so far :thumbup:

Regards John

I have the Neolamproogus pulcher, aka Daffodil brichardi., very sweet fish, she is my oldest Tang at 7 years! and well she hasnt done much breeding lately but still an mpressive fish at 10cm

IPB Image

i beleive there is atleats 8 types in OZ

pulchers

albino pulchers

brichardi:

princess, burundi

kiku

olivacious

falcicula

gracilis

splendens

I have 1 Orange male brichardi and 2 fry and it has been hard to find any of these variant anywhere any ideas on anyone who has fry?

Regards John

John, i have what i believe to be a pair ... I did witness tubes dropped and a increase in aggresion but then i had to go away for 4 days and when i came back there were nipped fins on all fish except the brichardi's ...

I never saw eggs or fry but they are temperaily in a tank with angelfish so no doubt the angels would have eaten any free swimmers ...

If you decide to sell your male and 2 fry i'll be happy to take them off your hands ...

Sorry mate i cant sell these guys as they are really hard to find anywhere still looking for them everywhere but if i find some will let you know about it so you can get your hands on some aswell :)

is it ok to put the albino form with the orange form of daffodil brichardi or not :dntknw:

Just wanted to ask not that i am going to do it i would rather get peoples opinions first on what is rite and what is wrong

Ok. Firstly - daffodil brichardi arent brichardi at all. They are N. pulcher.

Albino "brichardi" that I've seen are either the "princess" aquarium morph of N. brichardi (originally from Burundi - but now significantly different from the Burundi form due to inbreeding) or the albino form of N. pulcher (aka daffodils).

Now, I'd go so far as to suggest out breeding (to the same species) for albino N. pulcher is recommended. Particularly as we dont have any known natural morphs of N. pulcher in Australia. It's worth pointing out that you want to be absolutely sure they are albino N. pulcher and NOT albino N. brichardi.

Some of the naturally occuring morphs eg "Pemba" have notable issues with deformities. I've not had any deformed fish in my "Kiku", however, other breeders have had issues breeding "Kiku" (from my line - and from others) and getting some deformed fry.

N. pulcher has been crossed with N. brichardi in Australia and hybrids abound. Caution is advised.

True Daffodils will be from "Kantalamba" and look very much like mine in the pic but they have significantly less facial markings, mibne is a crap pic but she has blue cheeks with lots of orange markings...this is the only real difference i can see from looking at pics of the "kantalamba"

As yew mentioned they are not a TRUE brichardi, but rather from the brichardi complex. as are the others i have previously mentioned.

What do you think of her Yew? she still has the best yellow patterns ( not just a dull colour ) of any pulcher i have seen..

Apart from bad colours and markings the only real deformity i have seen is improper development of the mouth parts, the "nose" does not come down to the upper lip, and the fish looks asthought the mouth is slightly extended, kinda ugly... and they tend to have a lump were there nose is.

Archived