Rocks: Latex (002)

Hi guys, just wondering how many of you are using LATEX rocks?

I know there on the expensive side but I think they can look really good..

My tank is 2 feet high so I need some larger rockwork to make an impression and to house my prized cichlids..

I saw some pics of them on the photo forums of this site, very cool indeed..! thumb.gif

Hey lepperfish,

A friend of mine used it once but it wasent sealed around the sides so some of his fish squeezed in and got stuck. I think his was alittle too small or it was because his glass had curved sides. Should be ok if you dont seal. Can anyone confirm this?

Cheers

Dean

latex is cheap as chips....ie$20 for 5l and not worth using for the backgrounds as it is effected by water over time, most back grounds are made from polyurathane which is closer to about $50 per liter, which is why they are sooooo expensive.

How do you measure polyurathene and latex by litres?

Would the stuff aquariums shops sell be polyurathane ?

The structres I have been looking at are about $80-$150

Both substances are bought as a liquid, I use liquid latex to make teets for the kangaroos and wallabies we raise. i liter is about 200 teets!, as an idea i figured to make a background for a 6x2x2 I would need about 6 liters of polyurathane, = $300 ouch! So I didnt persue that idea further. polyurathane is avaliable in a two part epoxy type stuff, and you can get different hardnesses and colours if you like, ranging from very soft and flexible to very hard like coke bottle lids..

Anything that is made by universal rocks is usaully polyurathane, or polyethylene, which is harder and UV stabilised, Ie water tanks..

Went to the LFS and looked at and bought some latex rock..

They are made by universal rock company, apparently their the only ones making it at the moment are making a killing!!

The polyurethane rocks they said would float and are used for reptile enclosures ect, whereas the latex stuff is weighted with real rock and is what is used in the aquarium.. I bought a 4feetx2feet back drop for 200..

I bought 2 large universal rocks for my tank...they were expensive (about $150 each!) but they look very natural, are light, and provide ready-made caves. Hopefully they will last for many years but that remains to be seen. After 20 yrs of stacking cichlid tanks with large heavy natural rocks i thought i would try an easier option...so far so good.

I would add a pic here but i don't know how. Can't see any upload button. Can email if anyone is interested.

Cheers

Glenn

Hi there oakes, I cant upload them for you but I would still like to see them..

Email your pics to liveillusion@iprimus.com.au

i will send you a pic of my universal rock if you wish, cheers..

i have two latex rocks from universal rocks and i think they are great , they pose no threat to the glass which i like and are almost weightless and they just make cleaning the substrate a breeze.

i have No 16 and No 18

ok thanks on pic posting advice

rocks currently in 3'x14"x20" tank, and i think will look much better when i transfer them and fish into a 4'x2' in future when fish grow up (calvus & cyps). At present the rocks dominate rather then create a centrepiece.

user posted image

Archived