Rocks: Make your own (006)

Canberra Alex

Go for something more natural like a rock or piece of wood with a hole in it. A cement block may work but it aint gonna look to good. It wouldnt be worth the risk anyways. Benno

ive researched this abit with regards to concrete ponds they reckon its ok if you leech it in fresh water,heres what id do if i had to have it in my tank- soak it for a week in fresh water ,changing the water every day, after one week ph test the water and leave it in the same water for the second week at the end of this ph test the water (the ph should not have changed) and do a ammonia and nitrite test- if everythings ok chuck it in the tank, if not its over the fence for next doors dog to chew

Through my experiance as a horticultralist concrete (lime) will change the ph in soil through leeching of the lime element in the concrete and this would also happen in water. As for how long this leeching occurs for i have no idea.

your best bet is to forget the cement block or alternativly do daily ph tests to ensure that the ph level isnt going to high. The lime will raise the ph in the water.

Wetfish smile.gif

Many aquariums in basements have been built with cement blocks with reinforced peices or iron, or is tht cement blocks? hmmmmm

Anyway if you reallyyyyy don't need it, don't use it. I am sure you can find a much more suitable substitute. A cement block isn't very aesthetically pleasing anyway.

cheers

Guest BundyBoy

I actually put a cement brick in my tank a while ago, i jsut washed it off and plonked it in. The PH has remained the same and my RTBB love sitting in it.

So i guess its ok, i guess there are alot of different bricks though, some may seep more than others.

Alright to further the question, would Hebel blocks be alright in tanks, and what would i seal them with to make them alright ?

i don't think they'd go well in tanks but it's easy to carve and would look great if sealed with the right stuff, but what is it???

Archived