Where to get cheap pond liner?

Pierced Soul

I want to get some decent pond liner to line an indoor spa which will then house some of my bigger americans. Watching my giant gourami chase round a foot long umbie in a 6x2x2 is not a great sight.....

The pond liner doesnt have to be the thickest available, and wont be in contact with the sun, but it needs to be durable in the event that big fish slam into it.

Does anyone knoe of a place in Sydney where i can get some cheap stuff?

How cheap is cheap?

I think the cheapest I have seen is around $20 per square metre(i think).

When I built my pond I went ballistic and got $80 rubber liner (discounted to $50) that has a 30 year lifespan although it will last longer than that even. There are a variety of manufacturers out there, some Aus others international. Since I notice it says you live in Castle Hill,

Flower Power at Glenhaven sells Oase liner (three types)

Dural Irrigation( next to driving range) sells a variety of Australian stuff.

Waterworld near Dural Maccas also sell a variety of Australian liner

Kenthurst Koi Farms, Porters Road Kenthurst.

Arcadia Lily Ponds (may be closed during winter months)

Rock around the block in Villawood

Hope this list helps.

not sure if you would be intersted but i have used a pool liner,

looked in trading post and bought a large second hand GC pool

liner for an above ground pool. Helps to see fish clearly as it is light blue !

has to be thoroughly cleaned and neutralized. May also be an idea to call

manufacturer and make sure it doesnt have any nasties (antifungal chem)

implanted (or however they do it ?) You can also purchase a rubber paint

sealer for ponds and pool liners, its not that cheap but can help for peace of

mind smile.gif

just a thought

kurtis

pvc liner only has a short lifespan in sunlight any liner out the water will perish in about a couple of years . what you want is either epdm or butyl rubber both are guaranteed for 20years but will normally last much longer ,i have 2 koi ponds both over 10 years old and the liners are like new ,i got them mail order from a place at south west rocks i cant remember their name maybe thers a member up there who can ,anyway their liner was about half the price being asked in sydney

Cool to hear the PVC will be ok. Flower power in dural has 4m lengths for $33-35. i need 3.5m of a 4m length so that works out a lot better than the $44 per square metre at bunnings which would have cost a lot.

Ledora in berowra sells epdm for $8 a square metre, though they did mention you cant repair it if it gets punctured cos glue wont stick to it

Why glue? I'm sure silicon will do the trick in pond situation. After all there is a vessel that will hold the water (pond shape and the like...) the liner is only there to provide a waterproof layer. Is the EPDM the pond type? Even amongpond ones there are a variety of types of EPDM. Some are smooth and others are textured.

i bought some pond liner a few years ago from a place called Watersavers, and from memory they are quite cheap. look them up in the yellow pages,

Havent had any leaks in the pond and its been running for about 3 yrs now.

they are out in the Smithfield/Wetherill Park area. rolleyes.gif

yup the spa does leaks. It's a tiled spa. The other reason I dont wanna just fix the spa is the heat loss. I got the liner today, what I did is covered the spa with carpet underlay to provide a bit of insulation, and then added the liner over the top. I ended up getting some vinyl/pvc from flower power. The epdm which is used for outdoor ponds wasnt flexible enough to be used in the spa.

now comes the cycling blush.gif

The water is filled about 3/4 atm for the cycle. It will eventually go higher i think, it'll depend on how my fish seem to go. i really dont want a 1ft+ fish on the floor.

Already have a pond filter running on it from the last time. It pumps water up into a bucket filter (well garbage bin filter) that has a few layers of filter wool then a bunch of scoria.

heating was the main problem last time. I used several heaters including a jager which I didnt realise couldnt heat anything above 15 degrees until much later. I'm still not 100% sure what I'll use. I found that using an external oil filter to heat the room worked nicely but cost a lot. I'm thinking of having several decent 300w heaters in there...

I was just interested in how you were going to heat it. I remember somehwere a guy did a similar thing with a spa and putting americans in there. He used a pool sand filter and an inline spa heater to do the job. i believe he got some satisfactory results from it. When your done put some pics up will ya it would be interesting to have a look at it. Maybe I could adapt it for koi smile.gif

Archived