Lighting: Recommended Fluoroescents

better late than never.

I have recently set up up a new hood that has 4 X 26W compact flouros. These are 6400K colour temperature. They are cheap (I got these ones for 4 bucks are the markets), easily available (you can buy them for 12 from bunnings) and produce lots of good looking light. My plants are thriving and they look nice under the daylight colour temperature. The fishlies seem to like it too. I am considering stripping the hood in my main tank and replacing the bar flouros with a bank of these.

• 4 weeks later...

Went to Bunnings Warehouse,

--------------------

30Watts 5,000k

Neutral White

Triphosphor Hg

--------------------

is what was on the box

and on the bulb itself was.

Nec

Life Look N-HG

Fl30SSEX-N-H-HG

Can I get a confirmation from Aus Nec users?

• 2 months later...

im kind of a fresh when it comes to aquarium lights, but i was wondering do the lights you guys are bunnings give out that purple glow that makes the fishes colour standout, or the lights from bunnings only useful for plants.

ive just set up a 4x2x2 and put a double 2foot lght in the centre of the hood ,looks great and $27 complete with tubes, also on this subject does anyone use the blue night lights? and slinky those are grolux tubes and they work just as well for fish as plants, but a lot of people find the colour a bit garish(myself for one) with fish only aquariums ive found cichlids prefer less lighting than a planted tank and catfish are happier with none! imo grolux tubes look best in butchers shop windows!

Archived