pH Drop !

nw1411

G'day Guys,

This morning I noticed that the pH in one of my tanks had dropped quite a bit overnight.

Nothing had been done to cause this.

Question. What do you guys use to keep pH up?

I know there are various buffers and your 'pH up' powders.

What is the best way that you have found?

Cheers

Nath

the best way to get a constant high ph is to use buffers like shell grit or coral sand in your tank. to get a better effect you can put them in your filters.

ph will change ,at the end of the day when the plants(algae)have been actively photosynthesising all day it will be high ,first thing in the morning it will always be lower .ihave found that sydney water even though it has a ph of 7.5 is very soft and in an african tank you will always battle ph,shell grit helps but ive found that aquasonic rift valley conditioner will keep the ph around 8.2-8.4 but more importantly increase the hardness significantly-around 18 gh and i think this stabilizes the ph good luck oh and by the way next time your at the beach on a sunny day take your ph kit with you and find arockpool with lots of algae ph readings of 10-12 are common.

Personally I just use oyster grit in the canister filter for those I want to buffer the pH around 7.5. They are cheap, and effective; the more acidic, the more they dissolve and buffer.

Archived