Are African Cichilds right for my tank???

tigerbloke

Making up stocking lists is like the best thing in the world.

I know i cant wait for the tank to be ready.

I must have changed my list 1000 times.

But i am pretty sure i want male and female. Not really for breeding but more just about wanting a more natural feel in the environment if that makes sense.

With the loaches would putting mature fish in the tank help with their resiliance?

I was also thinking about some petricola catfish

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Loaches are usually fine as long as they have structure they can hide under, and get enough food.

Pays to remember that these displays are simulations of nature, and not an actual slice of a rift lake. Adding girls does add some complication to the aquarium. More fights and...  the possibility of needing another aquarium for fry :D

Ok so my mind has changed again, and i think that i am going to go for a male display tank.

Mainly mbuna but i am going add a black calvus and gold comps.

Against all the research that i have done if i go 2 males from the same species and having about 14 fish in total would there be enough distractions and hiding places to stop a massive blood bath.

Potential list

Lab nakali

Patriki chiclid

Tetrastigma

Yellow belly albert

Parlmut

Black calvus

Gold compress.

Any thoughts???

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

For your tank, I personally would advise against the patricki (level of aggression) and tetrastigma (grows a bit too big). 

I’m not a huge fan of mixing Malawi and Tangs in the same tank.  In my opinion you would end up with a more harmonious tank, and likely a better outcome longer term, if you stuck with either Malawi or Tangs. 

If you are keen on the gold comps and calvus, why not as an alternative take a look at some of the other Tangs available.   They are probably better suited to your tank size anyway.  A community Tang tank can be fascinating to watch.  To the comp/calvus, perhaps add a shell dweller species, and a julidochromis species. 

There is a nice article (two parts) at this link about community tang tanks, and it gives some stocking ideas.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/tang_community_ii.php

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/tang_community_i.php

Having 2 males of each species is the worst possible combination IMHO. They will seek each other out and do battle. Best case is one looks amazing and other looks terribad. Not sure how you would go finding those fish in Oz, maybe the scenes a bit better in your area. Gold comps and calvus plus some speckleback moba lepto would be rather neato with that scape.

Archived