Tretocephalus breeding question

king_jh

Hey Guys

Anyone bred trets here before? Ive got a pair and I can see they have laid eggs on the rocks and cave in my 4ft tank however after a couple days later they seem to eat them all for some reason. This has happened  numerous times already. Anyone know why?

John

Assuming the eggs are fertile, turn tank lights completely off and throw a towel over that half of the tank but let them see out so they know whats approaching.  

I rack my breeding tanks narrow end out so fish can disappear to back when breeding (security) but display at front for food when not.

Well not sure if eggs are fertile, unless make is shooting blanks. quite hard to split  my 4ft tank with towel. My lights are on late evening til about 10pm each day and they do hide in their cave. Tank mostly tangs and they have claimed their area so all other  fish know  not to go near.

The towel doesnt split the tank. It stops them realising how exposed they are. Similar to horse blinkers. They are protecting eggs by eating them.

Sounds like this is a display tank. Why do you want them to breed anyway? And if you do want babies,  give them a breeding tank or rob eggs and hatch/raise yourself. 

Yeah a display tank at home, just a interest since I have a pair of trets and she is laying eggs, and if they if it was successful yeah i will definetly get the fry out into another tank. Any chance the male could be infertile?

Archived