Air pump - to have or not to have

Icemist

Hi,

I am setting up a African Cichlid tank, tank is 250 litres (100 x 50 x 50) and was wondering if an air pump is needed? I have had air pumps in my other tanks, but I have read varying differences to have or not to have with Cichlids. What are your thoughts and if so, what size and brand?

Thanks in advance.

You are able to agitate the surface with the return of your canister filter. I personally use them and add sponge filters - extra oxygen and filtration :D.

With African Cichlid, people tend to overstock/increase numbers in order to limit aggression on one specific fish. more fish results into extra waste and less oxygen so it won't hurt to have an air stone or two.

brand is of personal choice - something like a twist outlet 200LPH or higher could be used. I also use airpumps to connect my air driven breeder boxes which house fry and circulates water from the main tank into the breeder box.

If you have a fish room use air pumps for filters and agitation, but if your tanks are around a home your better off just using the return from filters and powerhead/wave makers.

I started out having air pump on my tanks but over the years I've found that I'm better off using other means to agitate the water surface.

Air pump allows fantastic redundancy for a ridiculously cheap price and almost nothing to run 24/7. It is also very easy to check your air is running both visually and audibly. A $25 investment could easily save your whole tank of prized fish if you haven't noticed the canister had stopped a few hours ago.

Archived