Frontosa lying at the bottom of tank HELP

Tucan

So recently my female kapampa frontosa has been lying on the floor of the tank. Moves around here and there. Ive seperated her into a smaller tank for the moment and dosed with some epsom salt, not knowing if she is sick or just getting picked on. Some have suggested eggbound but I'm doubtful. Any diagnosis or advice would be much appreciated thanks. 

1508301081309815651982.jpg

some details of the tank, water parameters and tank mates she has been removed from would be helpful

also a pic of that tank to see how it is arranged

was anything done to the tank before she went like this

can she swim or is she a belly slider with no swim bladder function

Well she jumped out of the grow out tank.....so I put her back into the main tank. Water parameters are fine, did a water change 2 days ago. In the past the other 3 kapampa frontosas pick on her, but that's because she's lower down in the hierarchy, she picks on the smaller frontosas. No significant rock movements were made. She can swim, but it does look weird. I'm beginning to think its a swim bladder problem. If so I'm not sure how to cure her... 

21992823_10212224017068589_4611445047927151162_o.jpg

20 hours ago, dan walter said:

How is her general health?

Is she gasping?

Any signs of being bashed?

Is she eating?

She is breathing heavily, not signs of being bashed but she has always been a bit lower down the hierarchy. And she isn't eating unfortunately. 

Fins look a little ragged, so some aggression present, but typically not enough to warrant a fish laying on the bottom unless it was heavily attacked.

Bad (old/rotten) food can also cause internal issues. Sometimes it's not always noticed that uneaten or food scraps stuck in rocks go bad and then get eaten whch can easily cause these issues. It's often unrecognised because it's hard to identify or pick up, but still a potential cause. Nutrient dense foods go rancid really quick because of their nutrients and they have a strong impact if eaten after rotting.

Ammonia spikes have a bad impact on the swim bladder and can cause this effect. Doesn't necessarily have to be ammonia as other water quality issues can cause this problem too.

If the swimming pattern is out it certainly leans in the direction of a swim bladder issue. That's their balance and buoyancy, which is why both lying on the bottom and odd swimming patterns give a good indication of this being the problem. If the water quality is good, there isn't much else that can be done to treat swim bladder issues. Sometimes it can just go away with time. If it's food based, epsom or any laxative can aid in defecation to release any problematic food stuck in the intestines, which can affect the swim bladder.

I'd be also confirming nitrite  is 0ppm and temperature is within comfort range.

That said it unlikely to be an environmental problem as only one fish effected.

Aggression or sickness are most likely reasons.....  if it continues then moving fish to another tank that it hopefully doesnt jump out of is likely best solution.

Archived