best food for conditioning large malawi haps

malawi sand diver

Lately I've been thinking about what foods are best in addition to a pellet staple such as danichi or nls.

I have been using cammarus shrimp about 3 times weekly with good result.

I find that once haps reach a large size they need more than just pellets to stay in good form.

What are some other foods that people use? e.g. has anyone tried frozen shrimp? or something live like mozzie larvae? I havent tried the mozzie larvae due to paranoia about introducing the fishy zika virus or some other thing such as parasites. Is there some other meety food source that is good e.g. breed it up in outdoor pond. cheers

I use Hikari carnivore pellets when I want to stack some weight on the haps. Its not something I'd want to use as a staple, but I find it great for helping to condition females for breeding.  I'm keen to hear what others are using!!!!

Not so much haps but i usually give my americans cooked prawns once a week. My female bocorti didnt eat for 2 months after buying her got super skinny etc. Once she started eating id give her some cooked prawns and she stacked the weight on. But she is a pain cant even rearrange her tank without her going into a meltdown and not eating for a week or so. Havent been keen enough to add the male to the tank for that reason lol

I'm keen on using prawns. I used to feed cooked prawns on occasion but I heard they put some preservative on them so got paranoid about it. I guess if we can eat them they can't be too bad?

I wonder if frozen uncooked prawns are OK to feed e.g. bigger, meatier prawns than the smaller cammarus shrimp which sort of look like cherry shrimp.

I use to be a pro fisherman @ Forster NSW & i can asure you there is no preservative on local fresh cooked prawns only rock salt. I can't say whats on the frozen crap that comes in from overseas.

I use the cheap frozen packets. They spraya chemical on the raw prawn to preserve it longer which will kill fish in your aquarium. But if you rinse off in some salt water and cook it removes the chemical and is safe for fish consumption. Hence why i cook them. 

Hey mate good point. I reckon species such as lichnochromis would like the hoppers as in the wild a parge part of their diet is insects. When I go trout fishing the trout feed off dragonfly nymph and I reckon the acuticeps gets critters like those from between the rocks. Also Rostratus, you would think they would dig for earth worms given their nose is similar to a whiting. Whereas something like a champsochromis would go for fish as it is like a tailor. I heard that prawns are closely related to insects like grasshoppers.

Archived