Taiwan Reef

malawi sand diver

I have been keeping taiwan reef for years and noticed that a few years back there was mainly steveni taiwan variant around. they had much yellower bodies. then 4 years ago there was steveni aswell as higga reef. higga reef dont have as bright a yellow, but still an awesome looking fish. Seem to grow a bit bigger too. there have been some crackers coming through the nsw cichlid society lately. I think most around now are just labelled taiwan reef and are in fact mostly from Higga Reef. Or has anyone knowledge that they have taiwan reef exclusively the sp. 'steveni taiwan' (brighter yellow) ones?

here is what i think was the steveni from 4 years ago in my tank

and here is my new tank now with what i think is the higga reef

notice how the one 4 years ago had a yellower body

I agree.  Some of the females I got years ago from St George had a more elongated body, silver colour and distinct "H" pattern down the body, whereas now they seem stockier, yellower and body patterning is less consistently an "H" pattern.  The anal fin on the males was a deep red too.

But still a great fish

Yeah I too have noticed that the "H" pattern used to be very obvious but now it is not in some individuals now. Regarding the yellowness, the ones back 4 years ago were more yellow. They are the Steveni Taiwan Reef. The one in my first vid has a lot more yellow in the body and it is a lighter yellow. The one in the second is the higga reef and although under blue lighting, has more blue through the body and more of a greeny-yellow in the body.

I remember back a few years and was thinking it would be a shame if the higga and steveni were cross bred. Looks like the higga reef had the dominant genes as you don't see the lighter yellow ones like in my first vid any more, surely there would still be some pure strains around though.

Archived