Gymnogeophagus Balzanii experience?

neoncrypnid

Hey,

I've been looking into getting some Gymnogeophagus Balzanii. I was wondering if anyone has experience keeping or breeding them. Most specifically, how sensitive they are to water parameters, and how to tell the males and females apart. I've heard the hump only develops on males, but at what age/size would this be noticeable? Any other tips are welcome. 

Thanks!

thought Pat Williamson would have answered this one but ...............

water parameters 6.2 - 7.4 pH and low hardness

so long as the water parameters are stable they don't seem to mind where on the scale they are but neutral works well

young males usually have blue metallic spangles in the fins and body plus get a blue sheen in the body with yellow in the lower area

females stay the same colour as fry

yes the bubblehead hump is only on the males and starts to develop when the water warms up = spring at around 10-12cm

Gymnogeophagus need a wintering for 3 months down to 15-18 *C and start to pick up once the  temp gets over 20-22*C

they don't seem to do well if it goes over 30*C ........... Sorroz keeps his in an unheated tank in the garage

females determine the spawn site and then attract the male when ready from 7cm size on

they are a delayed mouth brooder with the female picking the fry up when they hatch and brooding them in her mouth for 2-3 weeks

they are pin head size eggs and the fry are small when released vinegar eels, micro worms, infusoria and ground up commercial food to start then

upgrade to new hatched brine shrimp and commercial food as they get large food size can increase to include live black worms and mozzie wrigglers

give them cover as they can be flighty if disturbed I use silk plants, wood and round sponge filters steer away from anything with spike or sharp edges

there are variation in colour of wild fish by locale but the ones we have seem to be this form

saltobalzani.jpg

Archived