American Stocking question

phantomg

I've recently been cycling a 4 foot tank. External canister filter and wanting to get some Americans. I'm thinking 1 each of the following. Salvini .  Tapajos. Firemouth. Heckelli. Ellioti.  Maybe 2 of each but want to make sure this would be compatible?

I've never tried keeping any of these together so I can't comment on the compatibility issues but the Tapajos and Ellioti I've had in the past were pretty chilled and I couldn't see them causing any trouble.  Most eartheaters like the Tapajos and Heckelli do better in groups so 1 or 2 of each isn't ideal, 5 or 6 is better if you have room.

Tapajos firemouths and heckelli are all group positive fish so the more the better. Firemouths can be boisterous. Ive got a 4x2x2 with tapajos and have 8 in total with other fish like corys and rummynose and apistogramma and everything co-exsist peacefully. Id suggest going that option of 1 species of American in that group and adding other smaller additions.

I would forget about the salvini, remember the others will coexist without a problem as long as there are no females.  At breeding time they can all be fiesty, and your tank size will not hold more than a total of six fish when fully grown.   This is just from my experience with the fish you have mentioned.

Archived