Help identifying fish

bulletbill88

Got some similis, some gold comps and some black calvus from a local breeder. Got home and put them in tank and then noticed this fellow. 

I think he came from the bag with the similis but he doesn't look like any similis I've ever seen. I thought maybe he is juvenile black calvus? Can't see any spotting on him though like my blacks have. 

_20170807_202514.JPG

Thanks for the suggestion. I have had a look at the cylindricus online and there does seem to be some resemblance. And not such a bad species to have a single of in a tank apparently. 

Will have to keep an eye on him as he grows. 

I'm happy to rule out cylindricus as the shape of the body to deep and not elongated enough.   Same goes for compressiceps/calvus on this theory the body is not deep enough.  I'm also putting a line through altolamprologus fasciatus solely on the finage.   The dorsal fin on the fasciatus extends all the way to the caudal fin which doesn't in our specimen.

The fish looks like a juvenile Neolamprologus Savoryi to me ;)      just my 2c :(   I'd be confident to rule it down to Neolamprologus sp though.

Keep us informed as it grows....  good score either way.

Couldn't find any fry photos but found this online for a juvenile Savoryi....   neolamprologus-savoryi-4.jpg

Also trying to compare the photos to Neolamprologus Buescheri but the bars are more defined in bulletbill88 specimen. n-buescheri-Mbita.jpg

Hmmmm.....think I'm still sticking with my original "guess".

Why not contact the breeder and find out what else he had in the tank?  Probably better to ask the question now while memories are still fresh than try to be confirming info later, or working on guesses. 

4 hours ago, humbug said:

Why not contact the breeder and find out what else he had in the tank?  Probably better to ask the question now while memories are still fresh than try to be confirming info later, or working on guesses. 

They might ask for it back?  :-D :-D :-D

My "guess" came from about 30 years of keeping Tangs ;)   as I said keep us informed as it grows...  going to be easier to identify with a bit of size and after losing the juvenile colouration.    Maybe guess wasn't the correct wording I could of used.    

I was originally going to post exactly what Humbug typed but thought surely bulletbill would have thought of that and may have decided against it for some reason.   Ducksta poses a very good one :)  

Is there a reason bulletbill you haven't contacted the breeder?   I'd be very suprised if you've purchased numerous fish from he/she that they would ask for it back.   I for one would really like to know what it is!

Cheers,
Jason

I suppose I just get terribly frustrated by "id" threads on forums and groups.  Identifying fish from photos is fraught with difficulty, and doubly so when you are dealing with juvis.    Its not really an issue if the fish is only ever kept in a display tank by the original owner.  Its when that fish is passed on to someone else who doesn't understand that the id comes with a question mark, or if the original owner decides they want to find a mate for it so they can breed, that we get into potential difficulties.  I concede its probably not the same level of concern with Tangs as with Malawi, but there are still risks . . . . .

I think its unlikely that the breeder would ask for the fish back.  Firstly, it was them who made the mistake.  Secondly, its unlikely they would want to take a fish from a tank they don't know and place it back with their other juvis.  Unless it was a really valuable fish, its not worth setting up a quarantine tank for a single fish.  I'd bet on the breeder being apologetic, and being happy to cut their losses. 

If you ask the breeder you will likely get a definitive ID.  If they have breeding stock derived from more recent imports, you may even be able to find out the collection point as well as the species.  That's info you'll likely never be able to gain from other sources. 

But either way - enjoy!!!!! 

Archived