Albino red emprress

I have seem some amazing ones and then others that have cleary been cross with something albino. The issue is you cant really tell until the males are quite big and displaying. Definitely worth the time investment though. 

I’m personally yet to see any in the flesh that I’d be happy to consider to be pure, but I’ve seen photos of individuals which look on the mark. 

To make any proper judgement you probably need to keep them and breed them.  Compare their behaviour against that of pure fish, and critically assess the offspring of multiple broods for uniformity and consistency of type.  I reckon that lack of uniformity of the offspring can be a strong tell-tale of hybridisation. 

I strongly believe the safe approach with any of these fish is to take the conservative route and treat them as an “aquarium strain”.  As long as they are kept separate from known pure forms then no harm is caused. 

We are already seeing the impact of the “albino dolphin” in Australia.  People have been mixing them with blue fish and selling the offspring as pure blue dolphins.  Blue fish with red anal fins have even shown up recently from at least one Australian wholesaler, which could well be as a result of an “albino” cross.

Thanks Kathy & Michael, will update the thread with another photo when this guys colours up. That's interesting about the dolphins, I always thought the head shape looked a little too pointed on those guys. Must have been some dragon blood in there.

Agreed about keeping them seperate, to preserve the red emps here now - most are taeniolatus from namelenji island, then there are the occasional "fire blue" that could get confused and now the albino. Plus a few years back I noticed there was some taeniolatus from the from the Boadzulu collection point here. Not sure if those are still around.

having trouble uploading

but if you goto my lithoman cichlids

facebook page you will see my original albino red emp

let me know what you think

he died

but i sold a fair few fry from him and i have a small colony growing out hoping some turn out nice

Archived