African Stocking Question

phantomg

Hey all,

Got a 4 x 2 x 1 Tank with canister filter etc, have about 25 fish ranging from peacocks, dragon blood, electric yellows, flameback, Maingano, eletric blue and 1 Frontosa, all are around 8-9cm and they all seem to get a long fine, but long term is that too much or is it possible to put a few more in?

Personally i wouldn't be adding any more fish but if you did you may need to consider an upgrade of your canister. It comes down to personal preference and the happiness of the fish as to whether its too much or not.

How many gallons is that 75 or 90 cause that frontosa gets over a foot long and is from a different lake so I would take him out before he gets too big and when all your stock is fully grown and mature that many will overstock both those size tank imo

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I don't feel you should be adding more to the tank as the fish will double their size and you will likely need to look at thinning it out

what filter are you running and are you planning on running a second filter

can you confirm if it's 2' deep or high as usually tanks measure  LxDxH either way it seems a strange size

The measurements are Length - 150 cm, Depth - 45 cm and Height - 55 cm .

I have a external canister filter 3 parts in it and plan on getting a second at some point, i do 25% water changes , yeah the Frontosa isnt that big im thinking of putting him and a couple more in their own tank at some stage, not sure how fast they grow? 

• 2 weeks later...

At the moment a peacock is the most aggressive in the tank. Chasing the dragon bloods and mbuna that I have . If i get a second filter should I stock more fish to ease aggression or just keep changing the rocks?

Frontosas grow relitively slow and are pretty docile are your african stressing him out

I love your stock it's what I'm thinking nearly exactly for my tank but mine is a 180gal so I have enough room I really think you should try to find a bigger tank for them if these are the fish you want to keep it will be better for all other see just get rid of the big guys and keep mostly mbuna and some peacocks as they stay smaller

This is my set up. So far the frontosa is fine. As you can see they have a bit to grow. Once they get too good will either get another tank or sell a few. The 7 bar Frontosa I know will prob have to go 

15033847782551901846326.jpg

Yeah you can at least have them for a few months a mate of mine is only allowed a 30 gal tank cause his wife lol [emoji23] and he keeps whatever he wants as juveniles for a while and once they get too big he takes them back to the lfs and seals them for more juveniles it's awsome everytime I go to his house he's got different fish

Very nice. Yeah mine is about 105 gallons and so far they all have plenty of space. Will see how they go . Will possibly get a second filter and I do a 20% water change every week. Feed them once a day and every second day twice 

Archived