How common is Placidochromis electra (Fort Maguire) these days?

ctaylor

Hi All,

Has been a couple of years since I showed up on here, good to see some familiars still around, looks like the commonly available selections have shifted slightly, along with their prices.

Back 6 years ago I was breeding Placidochromis electra (Fort Maguire), not too sure what became of my colony/fry but was wondering how common they are these days?

I was seeing some REALLY nice clean fish around the traps about 3 or 4 years ago.  Everything I've seen in more recent times appears to me to be hybrid.  The fish doing the rounds these days have a real yellow tinge to the fins which to my knowledge electra in this country have never shown before.  I'm soooooo regretting not having grabbed good fish while they were available.  They are a gorgeous species, and it would be really sad if they become another one lost to the hobby through hybridisation. 

Good luck with your search.  I really hope there are still some good fish out there.

You're not wrong, even as juvis the males look incredible, from memory my original fry had come out of Tasmania and my breeding females were only just getting the hang of it when I gave them up, a lot of the forum veterans from back then appear to have stepped out of the hobby or are now just keeping fish to enjoy for themselves, something I completely understand.

But it does leave hope that they are still around in clean bloodlines, I'll just have to poke around in a couple of the interstate forums again and reach out to visit some of the old fishrooms again.

Archived