LONG awaited 6x2x2 geo set up

littlebig

Another update..

Been pretty busy trying to get this thing finished, finished fixing all the cabinet together, doors aligned cabinet lined and hinged. Still to get some struts of some sort to help with the lid. In hindsight I should have made the lid in two instead of one as it has abit of weight to it. I have sealed all the timber. Oh also fitted lights into the hood, with a door on the side of the hood to access the controls on the light. Also found some PFS and have washed and placed in the tank. Ah man lots done and still lots to do. Oh also got a couple 220lt drums for the RO just need to get a pump to make the water changes easier. Il stop rambling and add some pics ?

OK guys, not much left to do now, finally finished the cabinet and hood. Got the lights programed and most of the bits in the cabinet tided up. Found some satanoperca and got them delivered on Wednesday, they are currently in a qt tank which has been up for about 4weeks or so now, until the big tank is fully set up. Also got a few plants from Aquotix as well. But unfortunately everything is waiting on the filter media which seems to be taking forever to arrive.

The little guys have really settled down in the qt tank and seem quite comfortable even noticing abit of lip hierarchy starting to form already, they are getting fed about 3 times a day at the moment and eagerly take everything I have put in so far

what are you going to pack the filter with ?

consider running an airstone or small filter  in the tank just to keep the water moving 

you could start culturing the tank bacteria as it will colonise the substrate and all other surfaces

might help get the filter up quicker

I have some ceramic rings and sponges of different courses. Mainly chose these for the availability and price at this stage. Trying to find enough eheim media to fill this was going to cost alot and have to wait ages for it to get here. I wasn't planning to but is definitely a good idea.

Thanks sweeny, can certainly give you an update.

I ended up getting a couple l397 plecos to add to this set up which arrived a few days ago along with the filter media, so I have filled the filter with a layer of foam then ceramic rings then foam the rings then foam.

So we finally got to set up the main tank and added the plants and fish yesterday afternoon and they seem to love it.

The tank is still clearing up, when it does I will get some decent pics with the camera instead of my phone. 44bd4997d45340ba5e3a890acf15f119.jpg

The driftwood is just a tree stump I found in the bush [emoji23], with a couple maylasia pieces next to it [emoji106]. Hopefully I get a few years out of the pieces I have then

Really might I ask what steps you took to put the driftwood on before it's safe and do you poof for really old dead stuff or certain wood of just whatever looks good

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I was mainly looking for something solid. Nothing soft that would fall apart in the water basically. And nothing that had a heap of waste material stuck in crevices that I wouldn't be able to clean. Because it was too large to boil. I had it in the laundry sink pouring boiling water into all the little hiding holes for a good few week and letting it soak in the boiling water until it was cold. Then repeat. Scrape any soft wood off until I ended up with what I have now.

Archived