New to african cichlids

sweendog87

Need help with my stock I have mbunas mixed with peacocks and haps and 2 of my peacocks have lost all color what do I do im considering getting rid of every mbuna and only have peacocks and a few haps thoughts? Pictures are of a blue regal anf yellow peacock both were vibrant and colourful and after a month all color has gone

e50a3cc24316f380902e05ca01eb402f.jpgda5c58f9aac45136994752d9d479a1e4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

My stock list is

PEACOCKS

Yellow peacock

Blue regal peacock

White peacock with orange and black blotches???

2 red Rubin peacocks

Dragon blood peacock

And a purple peacock with a red shoulder and golden spots on his anal fin and white blaze on dorsal

HAPS

Taiwan Reef

Linvingstonii

Red empress

MBUNAS

Yellow tail acei

Cobalt blue

Maingano

Electric yellow

Blueberry OB zebra

Your biggest risk is that they are hormoned females. A lot of the mixed peacocks sold have been hormoned - if male they will colour up again over time. If they are girls, get ready for some fighting. 

I would get rid of the Mbuna, white peacock (hybrid) and dragon blood (hybrid) due to aggression and difference in food preference. Keep the electric yellow.

You need a red fin Kadango, flame-tail ngara and electric blue. Lethrinops are also nice but hard to find. 

Just my views. 

I think that's what's happend to at least the yellow maybe my blue but he was really bright for at least a fortnight and lost his color after I out another blue fish in could that still be hormones of So. How will I know for sure or will I have to wait iv hear of venting is this easy

I would just leave them for a while unless it is causing serious problems. If you do see your males trying to breed with them then I would remove them and return to your local fish store. In the ideal world you would have a small tank you could move them to and feed them up. I do have some males that grow and colour slowly, so don't go on growth rate. As for venting, unless you have done it a few times, you may struggle with this. 

Establishing all male tanks is a bit of messing around and you will need to purchase and dispose of fish until you get the balance sorted. 

Yes I have been doin that I was told false information about everything when I first started this and purchased 5 mbunas a few that get very aggressive 5 peacocks and 2 haps I told. Him. I am only able to have a 4ft 55gal tank and he said these all would go great so after a lot of research iv taken all My mbunas back and swapped for peacocks and am gonna change the big haps that I have to smaller ones that will be ok just not sure what size and how many I could have

Doubt they are hormoned, likely just juvie fish that have been fed colour enhancing foods. Very common in the trade, generally a food high in astax. On the plus side, the fish will naturally colour up again as they mature if fed a good quality diet. The females will remain drab tho. If its important to have crazy colours with your juves, you can always buy colour foods to bling them back up. A good cheap one is the hikari blood parrot pellet, nice high astax content. Just beware that high astax foods can discolour electric yellows (make them go sooty) as it triggers production of melanin.

Thanks very much for that info I think that also after reading alot of pet store or online breeders feed them that color enhancing pellet is it bad for them in the long run or is it ok to do while they are juveniles and when they gave a bit if size stop feeding it to them and let there natural color take form?

Archived