Resealing Tank Bottom

ACTcichlidlover

Hi Everyone,

I am considering buying a couple of second hand 2ft cube tanks. The only issue I have is that they have been drilled for a sump or similiar type of plumbing system.

I don't intend to use this type of system and was was wondering whether it was worth sealing the hole with some glass and sealant so as to cover the hole? 

If so, would you recommend that I use the same size glass (width wise ie 8mm) or go higher?

Is it worthwhile or should I just consider other options instead noting I am probably the worse handyman in Australia :-)

Any advice as usual would be apprecated.

Steve

I've done this a bunch of times.
The thing to look out for is that there is enough glass to get purchase on around the hole before you are hitting the existing silicone.
If the hole is right up against the silicone you would have to cut the old silicone away to do it properly (new wont bond very well to old)
Just cut a square so it overlaps nicely and get plenty of silicon on there, squish down.
As far as thickness, I'm not sure if there is a rule.  But I would say greater or equal to base thickness would be very safe.

27 minutes ago, Ducksta said:

I've done this a bunch of times.
The thing to look out for is that there is enough glass to get purchase on around the hole before you are hitting the existing silicone.
If the hole is right up against the silicone you would have to cut the old silicone away to do it properly (new wont bond very well to old)
Just cut a square so it overlaps nicely and get plenty of silicon on there, squish down.
As far as thickness, I'm not sure if there is a rule.  But I would say greater or equal to base thickness would be very safe.

Thanks Ducksta very informative. I have not see the tanks as yet but will have a look as to where the existing holes are. If they are close to the existing silicon then I probably will not bother buying the tanks.

I gather local glaziers are the best place to find the scrap pieces of glass required? Gneral aquarium safe sealant ok?

Regards

Steve

I just used any glass I had. In fact now i think of it i think i used perspex a few times too.

I would guess a local glazier or tank builders would have scrap. Or salvage a broken tank from somewhere. 

I have used ceramic tile, slate (rock) and thin glass to cover drilled holes. If using glass, fill the gap between patch and bottom entirely with silicon or algae/mulm will get between and you can't remove it. 

Another option is to use an end cap fitting and keep the existing plumbing/hole in place, just not used. 

Archived