Breeding Leleupi

Hi all,

Just after advice on breeding Leleupi.

I have been lucky enough to have a pair spawn in a standard 2ft tank and the fry are free swimming and starting to grow nicely.

I do appaer to have a issue with the male though. He is extremely protective of the fry, as expected, but is giving the female a hard time. She rarely appears from the rockwork and when she does the male harrasses her continuously.

Do you recommend I remove the female or not? Do you think the male will eat or kill the fry if the female is removed? Has anyone who has bred lelupi before expreienced this scenario? I have read some websites and none of them has mentioned that you need to remove the female.

Noting I do have a pair I dont want to lose the female.

Thank you in appreciation for your advice.

With no other threat to defend against the male is putting all his aggro onto the female. I find it helps when he can see other fish tanks, as he can at least then by on guard against the fish in them. I would definitely remove the female. No point losing your breeder for the sake of one batch of fry. The rockwork needed for this fish can make it hard to remove the fry, so female is easiest option really.

8 minutes ago, Ageofaquariums said:

With no other threat to defend against the male is putting all his aggro onto the female. I find it helps when he can see other fish tanks, as he can at least then by on guard against the fish in them. I would definitely remove the female. No point losing your breeder for the sake of one batch of fry. The rockwork needed for this fish can make it hard to remove the fry, so female is easiest option really.

Thanks for the advice.

The tank is isolated from my other tanks so there is no perceived threat for the male to specifically guard against (except me when I am doing a water change LOL). There are no other fish in the tank besides the 2 x Leleupi's and the fry.

Steve

20 minutes ago, Link2Hell said:

move both adults out and use the tank to grow the fry

you can also try a mirror for him to posture against

Will the male and female be ok together in a new tank together? Will the male bully the female again?

It will a 4ft tank with other Tanganyikan type fish such as Bricardii and small Frontosa.

Thanks for the reply.

Archived