Electric yellow, is she holding

Mr Jay

Hi All my son picked up some yellow and was told the female was holding, not sure what I am looking for but I have attached a photo, just after some conformation that it is true or not.

image.jpeg

Yep she's holding. Just hopefully she has bred with another electric yellow. I'm wondering if it came from a mixed tank or one containing only yellows? 

1 hour ago, Mr Jay said:

Hi All my son picked up some yellow and was told the female was holding, not sure what I am looking for but I have attached a photo, just after some conformation that it is true or not.

Electric yellows are mouth brooders so you will notice that her throat looks swollen.  This is the buccal cavity where the fry are held while they develop.  It will get bigger and more swollen the longer she holds. 

Thank for the replies, yes she was in a tank with a lot of other yellows, most were male, so is there anything I need to do ( diet wise or tank wise) or just sit back an wait.

cheers

andy

Cool! 100% she is holding. Normally what I did about holding female is buy a fry saver from aquarium shop and put her in there. Is this first time for her? if so let her spit in fry saver so your son can see fry and mother interaction/relationship after she spit the fry out...like sometimes fry go back in to Mother's mouth.  No fry saver, all fry will be eaten/crushed by other fishes. Good luck!

She sure is holding fry/eggs.

you could isolate her after 2 or so weeks so she can spit them out on her own accord or strip the fry out around then.

Congrats. and have fun.

Archived