Trialling a new flake food

malrift

Fish Meal, Fish Oil, Krill, Cassava, Spirulina (5%), Chlorella, Kelp, Spinach, Alfalfa, Brewers Yeast, Broccoli, Kale, Nettle Leaf, Garlic, Paprika, Beetroot, Aniseed, Marigold, Astaxanthin, Vitamins A, Vitamins D3 t

So even though it works out that it contains 40grams of cassava per 1kg. Which is 4% of the entire mixture.

Math has never been never been my strong point , but exactly how is it that spirulina is listed as 5th ingredient, yet supposedly it has a higher inclusion rate (5%) than the 4th ingredient, which you are stating is 4%?  

BTW - from the little research that I did on using Cassava in aquaculture feed, it's use is primarily to save production costs, as in utilizing Cassava over more traditional, and more costly starches, such as corn, wheat, and soy.  This is why I believe others went on the offensive, Malrift. This manufacturer isn't exactly reinventing the wheel with this formula, and attempting to use anti-grain spin in their marketing is going to come off as offensive to many consumers who know better.

I hope this link works, a very good paper on the subject of using Cassava in aquaculture. Scroll up using the side bar and allow it to load.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=ZGdhBAAAQBAJ&pg=PA27&lpg=PA27&dq=cassava+aquaculture&source=bl&ots=leSjTxD35M&sig=S3kjEnHyWAtmib0K-GxYG0uRQ8c&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj4_M2Cx5_UAhVhlVQKHbMPCbIQ6AEINTAD#v=onepage&q=cassava%20aquaculture&f=false

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As stated in my first post the ingredients list is not in order as yet. This food has not been officially labelled. It has also not had its analyses done at this stage.

Once they have had the analyses done and finalised exact ingredients then the label list will be changed. This product is still being tested by quite a few breeders and fishkeepers here in Qld.

Also the form of cassava that is being used in this food is not cheap as it is being sourced through a organic food group that only deals with human grade quality. 

What I find kinda amusing the anti grain spin so to speak. Was first published by the very fish food company everyone raves about being the best. It is in an article on their website. The same article that was used in every fish food debate on this forum as gospel a few years back. But not a word was said. 

To answer you ducksta that was my fault not the manufacturer as I didn't check with him before replying. 

I am very loyal to those I call friends and will try and defend them when I think they are being accused of something that is simply not what they intended.

This personally trait of mine can be more harmful than good. For that I do apologize.

The person who is creating this flake has the intentions of only the fish and their health yet is constantly being accused of the opposite. He did not deliberately try and use spin advertising as it has been constantly said in this post. Whether you believe it or not. 

"What I find kinda amusing the anti grain spin so to speak. Was first published by the very fish food company everyone raves about being the best. It is in an article on their website. The same article that was used in every fish food debate on this forum as gospel a few years back. But not a word was said." 

Was that directed at me?  If so, you have certainly missed the mark here.

It is generally aimed across the board. I remember the old debates and the use of the grain debate by certain company. But seems to be now forgotten about.

In saying this I am leaving this now as more than likely I have in some eyes damaged this product. Not my intention neither was I spruking this product rather trying to help with its development as I am seeing some potential in it. Especially now they are getting close to finalising it for a proper labelled brand with intentions of making it into a pellet. My apologies to my friend the manufacturer if I have in any way damaged its potential. 

Pellet and flake making equipment is getting so cheap that more and more domestic companies are starting up. 

I'm getting my own pellet mill later this year, not only for reducing food cost but for quality control. 

On ‎3‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 11:44 AM, malrift said:

What I find kinda amusing the anti grain spin so to speak. Was first published by the very fish food company everyone raves about being the best. It is in an article on their website. The same article that was used in every fish food debate on this forum as gospel a few years back. But not a word was said. 

In the fish food threads I’ve seen on forums, here and elsewhere, the discussion on wheat etc has primarily focused on the QUANTITY used, rather than grains in themselves being seen as a problem.  I think it’s pretty well accepted that there is a need for binders in fish foods to make them a usable product.  It’s when those ingredients are added to the product in excessive quantities purely to bulk out a food, or lower grade grain by-products are used, that concerns are raised.  Correct me if I’m wrong, as I may have been reading different threads than you

The approach I use in stuff like this is to gather information from a variety of different sources, distil that information down to work out what seems to ring true to me, and base my decisions around that.  Obviously data from independent sources is preferred.  I’m always more sceptical of information coming from a source with a vested interest, but that information can still prove invaluable, particularly when it’s from people with considerable depth of experience and knowledge in the field.  Nothing like a good meaty argument between representatives of two different companies producing quality fish foods to unearth some interesting facts about products from both companies – both good and bad!

Hey Mal
rift, they may be great guys and your buddies, and your intentions were completely in the right place, but it still boils down to the fact that they aren’t in the game as a community service – they are trying to flog a product to make a buck.  As with ANY manufacturer/retailer, they have an obligation (both legally and morally) to provide factual information in their advertising.

Archived