Help to Diagnose Sickness

andrew8710

Hi All,

Since Saturday my 4x2x2 with Americans has been showing signs of white spot, I am still yet to see distinctive spots though but am seeing little bits of white film so starting to think it may be a fungal or bacteria infection. I completed a 25% water change about 2 weeks ago and added a wild caught red devil around the same time. 

I have attached a few photos but it definately seems to be the convicts and silver dollars worst affected. The oscars, Texas and black belts are all at the surface gasping for air but are still eating and swimming a bit. 

I have upped the temperature to 30 and have treated with white spot remedy but haven't seen much, if any improvement to date  

Let me know what everyone thinks and the best way to treat?

Cheers

Andrew

IMG_4093.JPG

Get some serious water surface agitation going! You need way more oxygenation in there IMHO especially running it at 30degC.

Certainly looks more like columnaris to me. I would drop temperature to 24degC, increase oxygenation and then hit it with something broad spectrum like wardley fungus-ade. That mainly target external bacterial infections but does also handle white spot. Keep in mind columnaris reproduces far faster at temperatures above 24degreeC AND usually kills by rotting gill tissues. Really need to have high oxygenation to assist fish with damaged gills to get enough oxygen.

Also, its highly likely the devil brought a nasty in with it :( could even be worth trying to get some closeup pics with a mobilephone microscope. Unlikey but could even be skin flukes. If you take another cassualty and you are up for it.....  consider snipping away the gill cover and looking at the gills. If they are healthy and red, then that pretty much eliminates nitrite and columnaris as causes. Nitrites = brown gills. Columnaris = rotted away gills, no longer healthy red and feathery.

Archived