Male Electric Blue Holding ?!?

MK

Have 6 Electric Blues in a 300 litre tank with about 14-16 Electric Yellows. The tank boss (large Electric Blue) now appears to be holding!?!

Some photo's below - this fish has always been the bluest of the 6 Blues (I thought I have 3 males and 3 females - now thinking I got that wrong).

Anyone got a view on whether this fish is holding or injured / sick?8e213492dfa404d8070e687d7ec13a78.jpg7ca5cf9c9dcff6e581accc6d1d8be11c.jpgc2726418c82304fa7448fab4a476e435.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A bit of gender equity going on in your tank - very progressive!

On occasions you get male fish holding.  I'm not sure that I've ever heard of a male holding full term.  You could be on a first!

A bit of gender equity going on in your tank - very progressive!

On occasions you get male fish holding.  I'm not sure that I've ever heard of a male holding full term.  You could be on a first!

I'll keep you guys informed :-)

how long have you had him for ?

And just a odd question ..any hormone food feeding ? while super g ..white crane ?

Have had this one about 12 months. They are fed with NLS and flake with the odd zucchini but very much the same food over an extended period. Hence me thinking this holding fish was male. There are a couple of females in the background in one of the photos.

Have 6 Electric Blues in a 300 litre tank with about 14-16 Electric Yellows. The tank boss (large Electric Blue) now appears to be holding!?!

Some photo's below - this fish has always been the bluest of the 6 Blues (I thought I have 3 males and 3 females - now thinking I got that wrong).

Anyone got a view on whether this fish is holding or injured / sick?8e213492dfa404d8070e687d7ec13a78.jpg7ca5cf9c9dcff6e581accc6d1d8be11c.jpgc2726418c82304fa7448fab4a476e435.jpg

My daughter informs me that your fish that is holding is a female...a mature female, some females get darker than others especially when they are the dominant female. We have White Lip Mdoka that showed this behavior...We had 2 females.and one make but the dominant female was just as colourful as the make.while the other female was very pale. Your electric blue is definitely holding! :-)

Sent from my R7g using Tapatalk

Have 6 Electric Blues in a 300 litre tank with about 14-16 Electric Yellows. The tank boss (large Electric Blue) now appears to be holding!?!Some photo's below - this fish has always been the bluest of the 6 Blues (I thought I have 3 males and 3 females - now thinking I got that wrong).

My daughter informs me that your fish that is holding is a female...a mature female, some females get darker than others especially when they are the dominant female. We have White Lip Mdoka that showed this behavior...We had 2 females.and one make but the dominant female was just as colourful as the make.while the other female was very pale. Your electric blue is definitely holding! :-)

Male not make sorry, my phone has trouble with English! [emoji1]

Its territorial colouration. Holding females become territorial over their hiding spot, just as males do over their display bower. Just rare for females to do compared to males. Both males and females will also usually have "sleeping" colouration too. And often the same "war paint" face lines during fights and aggression displays.

Archived