Moving to south Americans

Crowbot

Hi all!

Im getting back into the hobby after having a few years away from it, i have kept africans in the past but would like a change up and try out some American cichlids.my tank is 4x2x2 450L i havent set it up yet needs re sealing first. Would like some advice on stocking with Americans as they can get quite bigger than the africans i kept. Was thinking along the lines of maybe 2x jds ,2x severums ,2x acaras, and a couple firemouths and of course a bristlenose/pleco. Is this overstocked? Im also aware agression might be a problem but you never know.im excited to be back in the hobby. 

Thanks in advance 

Good size tank and good mix of species. The main problem to anticipate is if a couple pair off they'll want to claim a whole lot of that tank and flog everything else. So try to avoid ending up with pairs.

Thanks Ducksta!

Yes good point on the pairing i wouldnt mind some fry but will keep my eye out for any over agression and remove one if i have to. Would having two males of any of these cause agression between the two same species? 

On Mon Mar 27 2017 at 0:55 PM, Link2Hell said:

JD's and Firemouths are Central American just to be pedantic

I don't think you will have much trouble if any with these

the Acara will most likely be more pushy than the JD during breeding

Haha yes they are! Thanks for that! Do you think a salvini  would work in with this lot aswell? No biggie if it wont just like the look of them great colours.

Salvini behave until they get the hormone rush then the war starts

the only way to keep them in check in a mixed tank is to have a tank master with them

tank master = more dominant fish that controls the hierarchy of the tank

consider festivum. keyholes, rainbow cichlid, sajica,

Archived