Forum and Cichlid newbie wanting new tank help

Cichlidboi

Hi everyone,

Sometime in the next year  I will be upgrading my current tank and wanted to know the compatibility of some of the Cichlids I want and how large the tank will have to be. I have had a pretty standard planted community tank for 8 years and fancy goldfish for an uncountable number of years and now want something more exciting. So far the experience I have had with cichlids has been pretty novice. I was incorrectly told that I could have african cichlids in my community tank (90L) depsite them living happily and destroying everything in the tank. I also was sold with wrong information rainbow cichlids which I somehow managed to breed in the same community tank (I was 9 years old lol, I didnt know better :)).

So now that I will be able to have a large tank (around 400L) I would like

A pair of super red severums, a  school of geophagus (6-8), some firemouth cichlids, rainbow cichlids and some sought of algae cleaning fish.

I don't know if all of the above are compatible or how big the tank would have to be so that's why I'm asking ;). I am also more than happy to maintain the tank and adhere to special requirements ( which should be the approach when having any pet tbh) . I know its a jump from what I already have but I feel ready for such an upgrade,

Thx for your help

P.S I have researched into these fish and they all seem pretty easy to keep with really clean water and good ph a must. Originally I wanted frontosas but have realized that a school does need alot of space and after learning the hard way many times, it is just not worth putting big fish/too many in small tanks.

• 1 month later...

Sounds like too many fish for a 100 gal tank and I would be careful putting firemouths and rainbow cichlids with the geophagus. 

I personally have never had them but the neighbours 1's would even terrorize their big Oscar. 

Tank dimensions give a better idea than holding capacity

as the footprint of the tank is more important

Fish like people can be different in temprament

what Geophagus are you considering as the species varies

Severums will get pushy when breeding but that is about it

Firemouths will flare up at each other but usually that is it

I had 5 pair in 5x18x18 all breeding and flaring and back and fro

Rainbows - Herotilapia multispinosa are usually a mild and passive

L catfish are varied in size and diet but something like L001 gold spot

if you want something that max's out about 20cm or if you want smaller

one of the bristlenose variants, peppermints, L168, L333,

Geophagus from Leucasticta (Jurapari) super mild mannered

Suramensoid types vary in size from 20-30cm max and can be mildly aggressive

to me the tank would need to be 18" (45cm) wide minimum and 24" (60cm wide) preferred

4'x18"x18" is min for adult breeding pair Sevs or group of Geo's or mixing 2-3 pairs of above fish

plus catfish types

Archived