Filtration

Tweeds74

Hello, I have a 240lt tank (4'x1'x1.5'), which I have Malawi Cichlids and a few catfish in ATM. Cat fish are going to another tank soon. I am using a Fluval 405 for filtering and a long air stone. Is this enough or would it be better to have an internal filter as well or at least a power head?

Ammonia and nitrites are good, nitrates was a little high before last water change.

Thanks in advance

Alan

I had a 3" for many years, it had goldfish and a couple of internal filters did the job for over 10 years. When I moved to Cichlids I found that this was not enough even a lightly stocked tank.

That being said with the water parameters you indicated it would seem as if the cycle is working so maybe your ok.

The one thing I have learnt with tropical fish is that the O2 levels can be a major issue. So yes I would be adding a wave maker pointing at the surface.

MIke

10 hours ago, yanke said:

i find the more filtration the more u have in the tank the better off u are 

but not so the fish can't swim lol

This might work in theory but in practice, the more filters you have, the more chance one of them will fail. It doesn't take much for filter to trip out a tanks power supply or a hose to leak and drain your tank or electrical leakage to stress out fish or anaerobic traps to build or .... 

Sounds like you will be okay. Just make sure you change at least 50% of the tanks water every week and you wont have to worry about nitrates, nitrites, ammonia etc. I don't own any test kits, haven't owned one in 15 years. I actually lost more fish when I use to test the water. Now I just change more water than most people recommend (50 - 75% weekly) the recommendations which i see often are 10 - 25% of tank volume is no where near enough even on a lightly stocked tank. Seems that you have good filtration. Also make sure you clean the filter out least once every 3 months if not more often. 

I'm a firm believe having back ups if this is your only tank then I would run another canister doesn't have to be an expensive one could be a no brander (I have found the Astros to be incredibly good and priced well too )

Just in case one fails the other can keep your tank going and it helps with cleaning to as there is less risk when cleaning your filter out as you alternate each one to clean

Archived