To close and sell fish and tanks or not

intangcity

Are you still getting pleasure and relaxation from your fish? If so, keep going.

If not, are they stressing you seriously? If not, just close down a few tanks and downsize for a while to reduce the commitment until the pleasure returns.

If they are stressing you seriously, then it is time to consider your question seriously.

I never lost enjoyment of keeping fish, but once it got impractical for a time and I took a break and did other things (predominantly so I could travel more, guilt free...)
It was probably the best thing I did.
I suspect if I had stayed in the hobby at that level and at that time (and it was still very much only hobby level) I would have grown to hate it for taking over so much of my time.  Possibly to the point I chucked it in forever.
Coming back after years away with renewed vigor, and with no intention of letting it grow again (even when I see the empty racks my neighbours garage...), I suspect I will probably happily maintain aquaria for a long while again.

Thanks guys its not really enjoyable for me ATM.I walk in there feed them have a quick scan and leave.when I do water changes I'm in there for 4-6 hours then I get out.

Sent from my 5017A using Tapatalk

I shut mine down years ago and begin to restart it and never finished it. I don't miss it at all. I found the fish room took the fun out of the hobby for me. I still haven't started another tank, but have thought of it.

It is a question a lot of us ask ourselves at some stage

I stepped away for a few years after I lost nearly everything in the room when the room heater

thermo stuck on ..... not much you can do 1200 km away when you get the phone call

I know plenty that have stepped away for a while and have come back at a lesser level because

when it feels like work and you don't get the enjoyment of just sitting down and watching the fish

then it might be time to take a break sell the fish and put the tanks and stuff in storage

if it's just the maintainence look at an automated water change system or down sizing but if it's

family time, work and just lack of enjoyment then it might be time

Most of us that have been doing this for a while have switched between breeding setups and displays multiple times.

You either have time, or a job.

And your aquariums will reflect this.

Stepping back from a breeding setup that is time hungry, and instead adding a nice low maintenance display into your life can be a liberating experience that brings the hobby back.

• 2 weeks later...

Having just come back from a 6 year hiatus from the hobby. Still had tanks but but breeding or anything anymore. I went back to music and photography. Then 12 weeks ago we had our first born son. Now I am stuck at home holding him. Got me looking at my tanks again. Fired the fish room back up since I have so much time stuck at home. I am back loving the hobby. I do water changes every night after work and just sit in my fish room and ponder. It's great. Just thought I'd share how taking a break was good for me. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived