Corys dont last long

Bradc

I struggle to keep these fellas alive. All my other cats and geos in the tank are doing fine but i get about 1 month out of these guys and then they die. My water quality is pretty spot onto what they should have from what google tells me. I think its that because they arent as aggressive for food they are starving. I drop pellets in of a night once all the lights are out but i think maybe the loaches or another cat are beating them to it. Ever 3 days ill defrost some blood works maybe 2 cubes in tank water and drop in once brocken up in the hope they will get some. Not 100% sure. I feed both protein cat pellets and algae waffers as well so pretty varied diet. Any advice is appreciated i mustbe doing something wrong.

Tank is a 4x2x2 with lots of anubias and java fern and drift wood. 1x 2400lph sunsun and 2x 800lph internals substrate is play sand.

Stock list is

6 geos orange heads 

6 pandas

4 clown loaches

1 pleco

Maybe try buying from a difference source?

I find the addition of some tannins really helps with corys. You could try adding some blackwater, or even some Indian Almond leaves. I have always done it so I dont even notice the tint it gives to the water, but thats about the only drawback.

Im running sand substrate like bunnings play sand and i have a piece of wood in the tank that is roughly 25kgs and water is definitely stained from the tannins even after 2 months of weekly water changes. Even the bristlenose i bought have died but i think your onto something with the different source all the fish came from the same place so this is a strong possibility. 1st time ive bought fish from there as well.

Maybe the geos are giving them a hard time aswell. Not 100% on that. Ill look into the almond leaf. I like the tannins look to a degree anyway so im not fussed if it stains the water. As long as it doesnt look like a poms tea im happy.

Archived