Fish disease?

Bradc

I have a few fish in my tank with a black coloration starting to appear under the face neck area. Im pretty sure its not black spot disease as its not single 1mm black lumps and its only under there face area. I checked my water parameters to make sure it wasnt ammonia burn and its 0ppm

Ammonia 0ppm

Nitrites 0ppm

Nitrates 50ppm end of the week due water change tomorrow.

Gh15 and kh 13.

I have added new fish recently but i didnt see the marks on them. 1 has the same markings. I rearranged the tank recently and the caves i created are alot closer the the substrate im wondering if they have been rubbing on the substrate and this is the cause.

Tanks is a 200L 3fter aquaone 1200L on it. Feed once a day and skip a day on the weekend.

Likely going to be long term immersion high nitrates. Would not be lake spots unless you are feeding live food from a creek, as need complex life cycle for digenetic trematodes. Could be an astax detox if you are have just backed off on feeding colour foods, but again from the picture unlikely. Unlikely also to be melanophore migration from healed injuries due to location of spotting. have you been feeding extra heavy with spirulina?

I use api cichlid food that has spirulina in it but i dont think i have been any heavier with feeding then i normally in.

I mean local food sources here are hikari carnivorous pellets, sera veggie the one with tropheus on the front and tetra tropical flakes so variety is lacking to say the least but like i said i dont think ive been feeding any more.

The bloke i bought the fish from is using tank water to refill hes tank so i thought it might have been black spot so i dosed my tank with blue planets fluke and tapeworm tablets because it contains praziquantel.

Also 1 of the fish i bought was holding at the time and i thought was just thin but seems to have sunken belly as well so i thought the praziquantel might help with that as well but still trying to find some metro or metro based products like api genral cure to assist with that.

I do part water change Wednesday of about 20% and 50% on a sunday so my nitrates are usually pretty low sorta max out around the 40ppm. So i dont think its a high nitrate issue

40ppm or less should not cause this. You cannot kill encysted trematodes with prazi or the other generic wormers. I would be surprised if it was a parasite though, it looks like pigmentation. You just need the trigger for it.

hikari carnivorous pellets = astaxanthin and canthaxanthin.

So possible pigment choke pointing as it is fading.

Personally I would be looking into nitrate trends closely. I know you have been, and I would continue that.

If it was OTS then its easily reversed by keeping nitrates under control. Just takes a while is all.

1 hour ago, Link2Hell said:

looks like pigment spots when fed too much spirulina

Thats what im putting it down to AOA has mentioned it might be from constantly high nitrates but myn never go over 40ppm and once they are there i do a water change. Got onto andrew from labyrinth and im getting some different food etc shipped up here to try. Wonder how long it will take for the spots to go away or if they ever will?

Archived