Pallet Racking

Alex

G'day 

I've had a look through previous posts on pallet racking but could not find the exact answer I am looking for. I have 2X 6x2x2.5' tanks on the way and am looking at options for stands. Pallet racking is often recommended and is pretty cheap considering the cost of having a steal stand fabricated to have the 6x2x2.5's stacked on top of each other. 

The racking I have been quoted for has beam lengths that are 1829mm long (plus the additional length added on for the uprights). The tanks themselves are 1830mm so 1mm longer than the beams. The width of the stands is 810mm (tanks are 610mm wide). Depending on how mm perfect the tanks and the racks are the 1mm in extra length of the tank may mean that the tank will not fit directly over the front beam, in any case the tank does not span the whole 810mm width, so it will need bracing running from front to back. 

The place I have been dealing with does sell cross supports - http://www.mclernons.com.au/cgi-bin/office-furniture.cgi?product=Pallet_Racking_Components&pid=279&main_cat_query=Pallet_Rack&from_category_store=shelving_storage&back_link_type=main_cat_query&back_link_value=Pallet_Rack

I was thinking to run 4x of these cross supports on each level spaced evenly with a sheet of cheap timber underneath each tank + poly. 

Each level is rated at 1300Kg - which is more then enough for each tank. But I guess I am questioning how sturdy these cross support are if the tank is not sitting directly over the load bearing beams?

The racks are the dexion type orange and blue industrial pallet racks. 

Cheers for any input. 

Alex

well the racking i have is the dexion and they made it to the size i wanted they cut it down 

the beams are 8ft 6inchs long and the uprights are at 6ft tall and 18inch wide so they fit were i want them 

i got them up in new castle told them what size i wanted and they made them to size 

u can try a dexion place down there and ask them to make to the size u want it may cost u some more but they will be what u want

I got my rack to fit exactly 2ft wide tank. Like yanke said. It can be done and some vendors are more than happy to do it. All they have to do is to cut the short members of the uprights n new holes for bolts.

However, if you get them made to fit 2ft wide, you know that theoretically, you won't be able to fit your 6ft with 1829mm long beam. 

You either go longer or use 810mm wide.

My previous rack held 2x 6x2x2. It's over 2m long and 810mm wide. I used timber as cross braces n ply on top. It wasn't even structural timber as far as I remember. The system stood fine for couple of years. Sold to a friend and he had it for a few more years.

I'd prefer to have tanks to sit right on the beams (front n back). Hence I had them customised. Or get the tanks customised to fit the rack.

I just checked my rack. You may get away with 1829mm beam with 2 ft width, as there's more than 1mm clearance before the uprights where the beams attach to. You just need thick board. But that will be a real challenge when placing the tanks considering the size n weight.

changing the size of the width, 810 to 2', isn't difficult. You just change the cross members in the uprights. easy DIY.

you can get the length of the beams cut to what ever you want, but requires welding.

have a look at rackman in Welshpool they will do what you want but check everything cause some there area bit inexperienced.

they even cut/weld the beams so they are flat to the ends, no lips.

here is a link to one of their ads on gumnuts:

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/welshpool/miscellaneous-goods/workbench-extra-heavy-duty-plus-heaps-of-other-options-avail/1108448046

Archived