New Pond

mdk54

G'day guys,

I have been busy setting up a 530L above ground Laguna Pond as somewhat of an ornamental piece for my deck. The pond has been enclosed with a merbau box I have built to match my deck. Currently I have some umbrella grass along with some various other potted plants growing nicely. I have an AquaPro 2400L/H submersible pump running that is connected to one of the AquaPro in pond tray filters providing filtration and water movement.

pond%20deck_zpsne4quov2.jpg

The plan is now to stock the pond over the warmer months with some livebearers to provide some colour and interest. I know that 'Summer tubbing' is a big thing in the US, but doesn't seem as popular here. Question is, has anyone done this recently? If so, at what point is it ok to start introducing some live bearers (Guppies, Platys, Swords) ? I have been monitoring the temp and it seems to be fluctuating from about 15C some nights and up into the low 20's during the day. I have got some guppies and platy's in a tank in my garage waiting to go in that have been living without a heater for the last 2 weeks (Water temp is constant about 20C).

Cheers,

Ian

Ian

usually look at moving out for summer at the start of November till the end of Feb

something different would be some Gymnogeophagus balzanii that can take

temps down to 12-15C

don't know how they would go lower but come from similar latitude as Brisbane

did it years ago but will be setting up some IBC units this year for a few things

been hanging out with some ANGFA native keepers and they have done this for years

actually there is an article in the November NSWCS mag on this by Pete Matheson

Ian, I've previously grown a lot of cichlid fry in outside "vats" through the warmer months.  I utilised outside for around 4 months, but anything that went out a bit early was stuff that I could handle writing off (L. sp. "Hongi" fry were a staple for me at times, for example)
Interestingly most of the fish coloured up much better outside - demasoni were freaking amazing.
But I recall having problems with yellows "going black" which they never did indoors (same parent colony).

I have had swordtails in ponds right through winters in Sydney.  Although it was probably a mild few years.  But I think a lot of stuff would handle Brisbane winter in a healthy pond easily if they are introduced during summer months.  The only problem I can see is being 'above ground' means you might have a bit bigger temperature swings?

Thanks for the replies guys. It really is surprising that there is not more people doing it even here in Sydney considering our climate. I would really love to see some data on day/night temp measurements and how it corresponds to how well the fish do. From the research I have done, I think that a lot of our aquarium fish are more than able to handle swings in temp as long as they happen over a matter of hours/days. The only other thought I have had, is if it would be a good idea to have the pump on a timer that turns off over night to prevent heat transfer whilst it's cooler. I think this would probably make a difference, but any bacteria build up in the pre-filter may suffer?

I am currently trying to source some Variatus Platys to go in here as well as I have heard that they can be a bit more tolerant of cooler water temps. I may try out a Guppy or two this weekend, seeing the nights are starting to become more mild.

I wonder if a small power head connected inline would suffice at night.just enough to keep water movement over filtration but not too much to disturb the heat.both pumps on timers.one cuts off the other cuts on

Sent from my 5017A using Tapatalk

I can actually turn off the fountain and let 100% of the output go via the 'water fall bypass' valve which is underwater, however this would be pain to have to do this every night and morning. Perhaps something along the lines of what you have mentioned could work. I guess the main question would be how long can beneficial bacteria actually survive underwater, but with no water movement? Might need to do a little more research.

I have dome some intial research and I am led to believe that considering the filter tray is underwater in the pond itself, that turning off the pump over night should have a minimal impact on the bacteria. I might get a timer on the weekend and try this and see how it effects the temperature.

On another note I got 10 Variatus Platy's yesterday which I believe are more suited to this environment.

I already had an outdoor electrical point right near where this is situated so I am ok from that perspective. The pump is about 35W so this may increase my bills somewhat, although I do have a 5.6KW Solar system which should hopefully negate any major increase.

Ok so quick update:

- Pond seems to be holding steady above 15C overnight and in the low 20's during the day now due to the redirecting of flow mainly underwater.

- One male Guppy was trialing in the pond since Saturday. He remained very active and inquisitive the entire time.

- Added another 3 males and 3 females yesterday, all seem to be happy enough and are busy pecking away at everything that looks edible.

- I have a few more guppies and Platys that will follow suit should everything still be alright in another few days.

Just an observation, Guppies are visually a very nice choice for a pond. They tend to stick around near the top mainly and their colours are unreal in the sunlight.

• 2 months later...

Further update:

Plants are all growing like crazy, as are the fish. A small algae problem that I am currently trying to figure out, but nothing major. I would have to estimate well over 100 fry are swimming around happily now. Water seems to sit around 26C most days. Looking to put something else small that might be interesting to breed in there. Any suggestions?

There are alot of natives that will be good for a pond. Consider and species of rainbow. They can handle most temps and if you put a mop in there you can get some eggs to move inside.

If you have Facebook you can contact Peter Matheson he has alot of stuff ready to go

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...

I Chucked a 150W heater in the pond about a month ago to try and see how long I could extend it's viability, seems to be holding the temp above 19C even when I check first thing in the morning. I have redirected all the pump water flow away from the fountain to the underwater bypass (To reduce heat loss). I have also allowed the floating plants to practically completely overrun the surface area as I believe this this is also effecting heat transfer. I am feeding every few days still and from what I can see there still a load of happy Guppies, Platy's and Swordtails alive. Not sure about the 5 Bristlenose and 2 Siamese Flying Fox I also introduced. Will now wait until around September and pull it apart for a clean and to stain the wooden fascia .Then I should be able to take stock of exactly what is still lurking and what has worked well.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I am not sure how much it is effecting the heat transfer, but I would have to assume that it would doing something. The other little thing I have taken to doing is when I need to top up the water, I do a water change from my 4x2x2 tank inside through a garden hose out into the pond. This way I am provided with ready heated water and any nitrates will be readily eaten up by the pond's plants.

20170526_205133re.jpg

• 3 months later...

Well It is nearly time to take the heater out again. Plenty of Guppies and Platy's still in there. One thing I have noticed though is most of the Platy's seem to be female. Not sure if the temp has somehow effected the sex of the fry. I also saw at least one of the Siamese Flying Foxes I put in there before Winter so this is a good sign. I have only seen one female Swordtail, not sure what happened to the rest (I know one jumped last summer). I have removed some of the floating plants to get a better look, but will remove more as the weather warms up and as such should have a better view of what has done well.

Archived