Sunken belly

Bradc

Ive got a female hongi i bought yesterday. She was holding when i got her and 2 others. 1 other was holding as well. I stripped both females and put in a keeper net in my tank and gave a feed to before letting them loose.

Now the 1 with Sunken belly wasn't swimming greatetc so i took her out put her in a 10L bucket with an air stone a small heater and doesed with 1.5 teaspoons of epsom salt and blacked out the bucket.

This morning she was heaps better but ive noticed the belly and now she wont eat. Just wondering whats the best way of treating? Is dosing the whole tank with espom salt the best cause of action or api general cure ive seen videos on tetra blocks that you put in. Not 100% how to go about this. Also i havent got a small tank spare to put her in so any suggestions are very well appreciated. 

Tank is an oversized 3fter thats 200L and has an aquaone 1200 on it.

From what I have read, and in my experience, a sunken belly usually means parasites. If your fish is otherwise healthy it can fight off the parasites but if she is otherwise stressed ( and I think she might be considering she has just been moved to a new tank and has been holding recently), she will probably need some assistance.

I am not sure if just epsom salt with be sufficient. I would suggest keeping her away from the others and treating her with Clout. The bucket you have her in will probably do, specially if you have a sponge filter to put in. If you end up using clout, you'll only need a quarter of a tablet for a 10L bucket. Check on her after a day and if she is still unwell do a 40% water change and repeat the clout treatment. I would suggest using water from your main tank so you don't have to worry about water parameters being different when it comes to the partial water changes for the bucket.

Hope this helps.  

Archived