Breeding Frenzy

daimen84

After stripping my F1 Rusties yesterday for the first time i look over and what appears to be a mouthful from my auritus.

I think it is a small one what do you think?

c993d7c1e39c7e079aa02a1007312b71.jpg

Im up to my eyeballs in fry right now.

My daughter wont allow me to let a single guppie get eaten by mum and dad so im constantly on the look out.

My peacock gudgeons are producing i just have to catch some of the fry from their little hiding spot before they use up their egg sacks or get eaten.

Elliotti look like they are about to spawn.

If only i could find another female for my blue ram after he did some domestic abuse on his last partner.

Oh yeah and i have another rusty holding now!

What a life spring brings!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Yeah i just thought one would hold the eggs until they are free swimming then they swap. But i looks like when one gets hungry they just spit and the next picks it up from there. Very interesting behaviour. Does anyone know the gestation period for these guys cause im thinking of stripping when they are free swimming

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

Ok cool. If i give them about 20 days does that matter much? I want them to hold for a bit too get used to it. I think they might be first timers. If they eat them its no big deal

Are you sure that this is an actual mouthful?

When I had mine, they would regularly 'pretend' to brood.

One day, I'd see one with a mouthful which would last for a few days and then they didn't look like they were brooding at all for the next few days and repeat.

Other than the 'mouthful' I usually wouldn't see any sign of fry on most occasions. They did breed only a few times though.

Hope they do spit some fry for you.

Cool fish

He or she definatly has a mouthful under the chin is huge now.

I have read that while being bi parental the mum only looks after the eggs, once they are free swimming dad takes over.

There are more free swimming fry now. Im not going to strip this time because i will let them hold full term. Besides i will be over run with fry and these are not easy to move on. The auritus seem to be a specialty fish that more people need to see because of the behaviour. But unfortunately they are not yellow or blue.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Archived